Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!! I look forward to talking with you! I have a few questions as I am looking to set up a tanganyikan tank and have never done so. I already have most of my rocks and such but I am now wondering about stocking. So i guess my question is are these fish ok with each other? I have a 120 gallon tank with two eheim 2217's sand substrate, ph 8.4 and lots of dryrock from a bed in florida. The tank has been established for about 6 months. I am looking into:
2x julidochromis ornatus
4x neolamprologus caudopunctatus red fin
2x tanganicodus irsacae ikola
2x neolamprologus leleupi
2x neolamprologus pulcher daffodil
4x neolamprologus cynus

also wondering if:
2x xenotilapia bathyphilus zaire blue would be ok, I have heard these are skiddish, if so then no sweat I wont include them, I just thought they were neat and I was wondering.

Thanks everybody in advance!!! :D

·
Registered
65 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

First off, what are dimensions on your 120? Because some of your species are notoriously territorial or outright mean.

Also, when you say you want to keep pairs, unless you buy adult pairs, you're going to have to start with a group of juvies, and let the pairs establish. A second tank is pretty much a must in this case, as the odd fish out might not otherwise make it. Also, not all these fish are strongly pairing. Your mileage may vary with the Leleupi - mine had a fairly strong pair bond (with occasional straying), but other people have had ones that did not. In such cases, extra females do not hurt.

Finally, no, Xeno Bathiphilus will not work with these other fish. First, they're very mild-mannered, second, they're open-water sand dwellers, and the other fish you're looking at are rock dwellers, which suggest a tank with a lot of rockwork and minimal open sand. Finally, they are best in large groups, not as a single pair.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the quick reply! My 120 is standard at 48x24x24. I guess I don't necessarily need to have pairs I just didn't know what was too much/too little for the tank size. I want a few species to breed particularly the pulchar maybe some others because I have people who I can sell these to. So would you recommend more than two of the ones listed as 2x or would you recommend not getting them period? Any other suggestions on fish that would work well in this tank would be appreciated :)

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
The brichardi types (cygnus and pulcher) won't coexist well with each other, and are likely to kill everything else in the tank. So- I suggest dropping those species from any plans for a community tank. If you want to raise fry- then species tanks are the way to go. Pulchers can breed in a 20gal tank, and you'll have better fry survival in there as well.

To spread the aggression out, you need species that occupy different types of territories. Right now- you've pretty much limited yourself to rock dwellers. Open water fish like Cyprichromis spp. are very popular in community tanks, and they like to school in large numbers. You could also add a shell dweller- since you want to raise fry, L. multifaciatus would be a great choice.

Here's my suggestion for stocking

6x julidochromis ornatus (in order to get a pair)
6x neolamprologus caudopunctatus red fin
6x tanganicodus irsacae ikola
12x Cyprichromis spp
6x L. multifaciatus

The leleupi can be hard on everybody, but especially shellies. If you don't like the multies, you could put a group (start with at least 5) of leleupi back in. Provide caves or conch shells for the caudopunks, escargo-type shells for the multies, and rock structures for the julies. The cyps need a place to sleep, so leave an area with a few upright pieces of slate for them to settle around. There's a decent chance that the punks, julies, and multies can raise fry in the tank, but cyps and gobies would have to be stripped and the fry raised separately if you wanted to keep them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great info thanks a ton!! I like your stocking list a lot. I am excited to get this up and going! Do you have any reccomendations of places to go online to purchase the fish you mentioned? I would go to a local place but the prices for these particular fish are outrageous!

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Cody6511 said:
Also are Calvus pretty peaceful/would they work in the setup that triscuit recommended?
Calvus are pretty peaceful - just conspecific agressive.

I think they will work with that list; however, I don't have experience with tanganicodus irsacae ikola?

triscuit said:
Here's my suggestion for stocking

6x julidochromis ornatus (in order to get a pair)
6x neolamprologus caudopunctatus red fin
6x tanganicodus irsacae ikola
12x Cyprichromis spp
6x L. multifaciatus

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Yep- you could add a group of altos as well. They're good community members, but pretty good fry predators. I'm not sure you'd get many caudopunk or julie fry to survive with hungry altos in the tank.

You've got a lot of local clubs and breeders in OH. As suggested, take a look in the trading post, the reviews section, and check out your local cichlid clubs for resources.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts