Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my first holding female on Thursday. I'm very excited. I'm hoping she doesn't spit or swallow them I here they do that a lot. Shes in a 75G tank and seems to be doing well. Its been about 3 days so I figure the eggs are at least fertilized. Theres plenty of places for her to hide in there. I plan on moving her to a in tank mesh breeder box. Should I strip her in two weeks after the eggs hatch or is it safe to say if she hasn't swallowed them by then she wont? Shes about 1.5''. Rough estimate. :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

·
Registered
847 Posts
I would wait until about 20 days before stripping her. Or better yet, just let her spit. The breeder net would work ok, but if you could set up a 10G for her, that'd be even better. Good luck! :thumb:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 11:26 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I would wait until about 20 days before stripping her. Or better yet, just let her spit. The breeder net would work ok, but if you could set up a 10G for her, that'd be even better. Good luck!
I agree they are pretty good moms but if you are going to strip her wait til the 19 or 20 day. Mine always hold pass 21 days. I think she lets out to feed. Thenshe will take them back into her mouth.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ok thanks. i figured i'd put her in a separate tank and when she let them out i'd catch her before she got them back in. never experienced this before so she might stay close and it would never work but i figured if i feed her it might work and if theres no other fish in the tank she might stray a little farther away. i have a 10g tank set up next to mine right now it was being used as a quarantine tank a week or too ago. i'll just check the water and do a water change on that today and get it all set up and net her out and put her in there. the only reason i havent is because i was scared that netting her might make her swallow them since its her first time. she seems to be doing well though. i'm watching her now swim with all the other fish and she just dove into the sand. sometimes shes hiding but for the most part she seems to feel safe. i figured i'd set up my old 30 gal as a grow out tank in my basement. how many fry should i expect the first time?

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Make sure the tank you put her in is cycled. After a tank has no fish for 2 days the bacteria die.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
DJRansome said:
Make sure the tank you put her in is cycled. After a tank has no fish for 2 days the bacteria die.
do they die even if theres plants in there? i figured the left over poop and plants would do it. thanks for letting me know!!!! I was just going to put her in and monitor it. I'll just stick to the mesh net idea and keep her in the tank and i'll cycle it with a couple tropical fish from my other tank in the basement. the fry should be fine in the mesh net for awhile.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
They die. Check the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. If you are still getting a nitrate reading, there might be hope.

(The plants eat the ammonia like the bacteria, only the fish produce it.)

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oh i thought the plants gave it off just from the decaying matter and all. i'll see if theres still nitrate in the tank

DJRansome said:
They die. Check the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. If you are still getting a nitrate reading, there might be hope.

(The plants eat the ammonia like the bacteria, only the fish produce it.)

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I'd just put some used filter media from your 75g. tank into the filter of the 10g. for an instant cycle. I really wouldn't want to have to use the breeder box unless I absolutley had to. Good luck :thumb:

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok thanks. why dont you like the breeder boxes? bad experience? i heard that some people have thier fry get out thats why i was going to get a netted one. with my tank at the correct water level and with the hood on it other fish couldnt really jump in and eat them either. i wouldnt want to do it long term but just as a start i dont see where i would have problems. i want the tank to be 100% ready and not sped up or halfa**ed. let me know and we'll see. thanks again :)

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
The adult fish can suck the fry out of the box through the holes. With nets, the adults can also suck the fry through the netting, as if the netting were a meat grinder.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
DJRansome said:
The adult fish can suck the fry out of the box through the holes. With nets, the adults can also suck the fry through the netting, as if the netting were a meat grinder.
wow good to know. my fish are all juvies besides the demasoni. the largest one is two inches at the most. i'm in the process of filtering the tank. shes still holding and her fins aren't nipped at all and she looks good still. theres lots of spots to hide. she comes in the open and then goes back and forth from about 4 that she prefers. i'm hoping the tankw ill be good bye next week or so

1 - 12 of 12 Posts