Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided to give African cichlids a try after keeping other types of tropical fish for about 20 years. I went with dwarf Mbunas in my 75 gallon tank to get a sort of reef community look. The tank is filtered with an Eheim 2080 and seachem tidal 110. I do 30 gallon water changes once a week. Current stock is about 15 Pseudotropheus saulosi, 5 cynotilapia afra Jalo reef, 6 rusties and 5 Pseudotropheus sp. perspicax red top Ndumbi. I started out with about 20 saulosi but lost a number of males due to harassment from the dominant male. Lost my male red top due to fighting with dominant saulosi. Lost a few Jalo reef from sunken belly. The dominant killer saulosi has been removed and the remaining males are sorting out their hierarchy. I never thought keeping these fish would be so difficult. I plan on taking out all the female perspicax red tops and some of the male saulosi. I'd like to add more female saulosi, afra Jalo reef, and maybe another species. I'll also be adding more rocks to provide more caves and break up the lines of sight.

Any suggestions on a fourth species? Any advice on being a successful Mbuna keeper? I've done quite a bit of research, but I guess I wasn't prepared enough.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Three suggestions. Remove the perspicax as they have a rep of being the most aggressive mbuna and very difficult to keep. Choose one blue barred fish and replace the species you remove with fish that look NOTHING like the species you keep. Think in terms of one male/species.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll be removing the perspicax soon. Do I have to separate the saulosi and the Jalo reefs? Do I have another afra option? I have an extra tank I could setup and use for whatever purpose.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
I would separate them since they are both blue barred fish.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got it. Thanks for the advice.

I'm considering a tank reset. Perhaps replace all saulosi with Msobo and Jalo reef with white top hara... or maybe having demasoni as my blue barred fish.

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
Demasoni are difficult to keep, so make sure you REALLY want them. Msobo and hara sound good. With hara, skip the Jalo Reef.

If you like the bright blue, try cyaneorhabdos Maingano. Stripes, but same great color as the demasoni.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The perspicax and saulosi are going to get a new home soon. I'm keeping the Jalo reefs, so no hara. I'll be ordering some Msobo as soon as I have the space. What is a good ratio of male to females for them?

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
1m:4f if you are getting 4 species. If you are only doing the 2 species go 1m:9f of each.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the help.

With a stock of:
Msobo
Jalo reef
Rusty

Is there another species I could add? Perhaps a yellow barred fish?

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
The yellow barred fish have drab females, but as long as they are not metriaclima or cynotilapia it could work. Pseudotropheus flavus?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not digging the yellow barred mbunas. I was just floating that idea around. Between afra Hara and jalo reef, which has the prettier females? Can't tell from what few pics I can find online. With 3 species, would 10 msobo, 10 afra and 6 rusty be a good number?

·
Super Moderator
40,501 Posts
You only need 20 in a 75G and you want only 1 male with the hara (not afra) and msobo. Jalo Reef females are drab (I thought you had them?). Hara females are mid-blue.

1m:6f each if you do 3 species.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I do have jalo reef but I'm not against finding them a new home. Sorry for any confusion. I just want the nicest mix of colors

1 - 13 of 13 Posts