Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

FEMALE???

I have been suspicious of this since I got her, always thought it was a female, but a few months ago she went to male coloration and never went back. So I just naturally made the assumption...
But guess what :eek:

·
Registered
85 Posts
that is exactly what mine looked like and now it is back to very bright yellow. Now I have no idea how any male/female I have.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
I've read that female kenyi can take on male coloration. I guess this proves that auratus can too because from what I've read about venting, that's a female. Thanks for sharing this with us bulldogg7.

I had 3 auratus that I got as real small juvies last summer. Recently one turned male color and then another did too. The first one (the bully) started picking on the second one that turned so bad that it had it's tail almost all gone and I removed the injured fish. It wasn't long until the 3rd one started turning male color too but this time there wasn't any trouble at all from the bully and after a while it got more yellow on it again. It still doesn't look like it did before it changed but isn't nearly as dark as the first male (the bully). I was assuming that it wasn't as dark because it's subdom but maybe it's really female and that why the bully isn't bothering it.

Who knows, maybe I'll try venting it. If I see it holding I guess I'll know for sure lol.

How many auratus do you have bulldogg7 and what do you think their sexes are?

·
Registered
18,306 Posts
bulldogg7 said:
This is the only one, she's killed 2 others. She doesn't like other melanochromis at all, no way I'm going to put a big male in this tank.
I would have to put a male in there with this one just to see what happens!

I've had females that would turn dark when stressed or holding, but never that dark.

What else is in the tank?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts