Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my 1.5 inch synodontis petricola catfish seems to be overeating in my juvenile growout tank. Its belly is HUGE, and I'm wondering if I should be worried about it. The other one in my tank is fine.... Any suggestions? I've heard epsom salt is a good laxative, but I'm a bit hesitant to use it in case it will irritate their scale-less skin. Fortunately, both are still swimming and eating normally :fish: Hard to fast them because of the other cichlids in the tank. As of today, I have moved both of them into a tank with larger, more aggressive eaters, so hopefully this will reduce the amount of food at the bottom.

·
Registered
554 Posts
any changes? Did moving them help?

What's your feeding regime and what do you feed them?

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, unfortunately he didn't make it... died a couple days after my first post. Any ideas what could've caused it? I don't think it was just overfeeding, because his dorsal fin also swelled up shortly before he died. It was eating Dainichi pellets my cichlids left at the bottom of the tank. So far, my other petricola is perfectly fine on this diet without any problems whatsoever. Anyways, has this happened to anyone else's synos? Any way to treat it if my other one gets it in the future? Will it harm my other african cichlids in the tank?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts