Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wasn't used to using aquarium heaters because room temps are high enough to keep tank at 77.5 degs. (Tank water is abouit 4 degs hotter than room temps because of 2 large sponge filter powerheads giving off heat watts).

So, I had to start using an aquarium heater due to the house central heating unit malfunctioning in winter. And then went to do my regular monthly filter/gravel clean and water change.

Removed the heater and forgot to put it back. It was still plugged in :(.
Nobody else here is that dumb.

The glass rod was laying on the electrical cord and of course burnt through the insulation. Luckily I noticed before the house burnt down with an electrical fire, so only lost a good $50 eHeim 300 watt heater for our large tank.

·
Super Moderator
2,022 Posts
We all make mistakes with our tanks from time to time but I am so glad that was the worst you experienced with the heater.

What I do when servicing the aquarium and need to unplug electrical items, I just place the cord in an obvious place so when I'm done, I can remember to plug it back in. I've never removed an in tank heater for water changes, I just unplug it before I start a water change.

·
Registered
49 Posts
So far my biggest mistakes have all been close calls and usually involve forgetting my Python water changer is running. Accidental 90% water changes because I forgot it was draining or filling a tank to almost overflowing because I forgot it was filling. So far, nothing disastrous, but wow. So close!

Anyone have a technique to stay focused on the draining / filling?

·
Super Moderator
40,898 Posts
I have overflowed while refilling...I sit in the fishroom and read a book PWC rather than do other things elsewhere. I also set a "pay attention" kitchen timer because I know about how long it takes to drain/fill each tank.

I have 3 biggest mistakes. One I changed too much water when levels were high and killed a group of Synodontis polli. Two I drained 1/2 the water and added the full dose of Excel. Then unfortunately I took too long cleaning stuff and the higher dosage of Excel for a couple of hours killed a bunch of mature males...including a beautiful calvus. Three I used the wrong silicone to install a 3D background and killed several new mbuna before I figured out the problem and moved them to a safe tank.

·
Registered
153 Posts
My most recent mistake was after cleaning my FX5 I only reattached one hose and turned the valve on. Looked like “Old Faithful”. Everything inside the cabinet got soaked in a matter of seconds.

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Hmm, where to start? First off, my dumbest mistake would be when I regularly forgot what I was doing while filling my tanks. Cue water all over the floor (which is why I have concrete floors in the fishroom).
2nd dumbest mistake would be forgetting to add Prime/Safe (lost far too many cyps doing this).
3rd dumbest mistake would be forgetting to switch the power bar back on (no filters or heaters).
Now, back to dumb mistake no.1. I once remembered that I was filling a 210g tank when I pulled into the parking lot after I had left the house to get a haircut : )

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Atleast you remembered to unplug the heater, I didn't and walked back into the room to a burning smell. The water had drain below the heater and a plastic plant was laying on it and melting. I've had more overflows refilling than I can count.

·
Registered
280 Posts
There's a thing called "the cycle"
Saulosi are curious and will fit through a Python hose...
Frogs cannot handle hot tap water.
Clamp the hose into the tank when filling.
One should test that nitrites are also zero when fishless cycling.

I'll not go into specifics on how I learned any of those lessons, but it was not from reading, which is my preferred way to learn.
My biggest trick for water changes is actually done during tank set up. You probably put the tank in front of an electrical outlet that has two sockets. In one, I plug my lights. In the second, I plug a power strip and run it into the stand. Everything that needs to be shut off during a water change goes into the strip and it gets shut off first to give the heater a chance to cool down. Drain and fill the tank without leaving the room if possible, so you don't leave the hose running, and always put a full dose of conditioner in there as soon as you hit it with new water. Oh, and remember how you plugged the lights into the other socket? They don't turn off at waterchange time!

·
Premium Member
5,105 Posts
NEVER doubt your intuition.....
Q: "Once he gets some size to him, is he gonna be okay with an electric, submersible heater in his tank?"
A: "Sure! These aren't like those Central American Guapote's you've been keeping. He'll be fine!"
-
Result: Just over 3 years later, the Datnioides microlepsis (Wet Pet) now at almost 12 inches in length - decides that. yes.... SATAN is surely winking at him with that infernal red light in his tank! Why? WHY?!! WHYYYY?!!!! Does that diabolical creature have to keep turning on - off - on - off?!!!
-
'BOOOOMMMM!!!!'
-
- Blown up electric submersible heater.
- Blown up Siamese Tiger Fish
- And a circuit box that tripped off-line, FOR THE ENTIRE HOUSE.
-

And I got a fine appreciation that day, for just how nice (external sited) in-line electric heaters REALLY are. :mad:

·
Registered
72 Posts
Has happened with me. I forgot to switch it off and drained my SUMP. Heard some wizzing sound and noticed the glass was hot. Dumb me quickly added cold water in the sump and the glass cracked. Luckily it was off at that time and it was a cheap one. I had a good back up heater with me. Now I don't forget.

·
Registered
72 Posts
NEVER doubt your intuition.....
Q: "Once he gets some size to him, is he gonna be okay with an electric, submersible heater in his tank?"
A: "Sure! These aren't like those Central American Guapote's you've been keeping. He'll be fine!"
-
Result: Just over 3 years later, the Datnioides microlepsis (Wet Pet) now at almost 12 inches in length - decides that. yes.... SATAN is surely winking at him with that infernal red light in his tank! Why? WHY?!! WHYYYY?!!!! Does that diabolical creature have to keep turning on - off - on - off?!!!
-
'BOOOOMMMM!!!!'
-
- Blown up electric submersible heater.
- Blown up Siamese Tiger Fish
- And a circuit box that tripped off-line, FOR THE ENTIRE HOUSE.
-

And I got a fine appreciation that day, for just how nice (external sited) in-line electric heaters REALLY are. :mad:
Glad I have mine in the SUMPs not in the main tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts