Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I found a 45 Gallon tank with an iron stand outside. The stand was rusting, and the tank had the most amazing mineral deposits. CLR and some sanding took care of that. However I wanted to make a DIY cabinet and hood. Since the money was tight, I opted to add paneling to the iron stand. This project took me a day and cost me about 40$.

Materials used:
1X 8by4 plywood 15$ Canadian, got it cut at Home depot.
Glue 4$
1X L wood to hide joints. 11$ (see pics)

So instead of buying a 300$ hood and stand, by a cheap iron stand and add paneling to it!!
Pics attached below, a work in progress!

The glue I used, very important! I initially planned to use a glue gun

The materials, 1/8 or 3mm thick wood - supposed to be used for paneling but with drywall support, however the stands metal beams are good enough support.

Attaching the front panel

The aquarium with 2 shoplights T8 and T5

The sides go on

View from the front, there is some messy glue but that will be covered later

Some more

Almost done!

With the L joint wood

Now for the hood.
The hood is super low-tech and simple. and quite fragile, however it rests on top of the shop lights

That little cup holds Flourite, just a water test I guess

The DIY Driftwood, found it near stream, hopefully not too contaminated.

And the finished product

ANY COMMENTS/CRITIQUE WELCOME!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Turned out nice! Good job! :thumb:

Are you going to make any doors on the front or sides for storage? Lots of space under there :wink:

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
How do you plan to access your filter? Will you just be using HOB style filtration? Finishing the top with "L joints" cut at a 45º angle would probably clean it up a little. :)

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
under_control said:
You used CLR in your tank? Good luck with that...
... I don't see how that's a problem providing it was well washed out afterwards.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
under_control said:
You used CLR in your tank? Good luck with that...
I read on the CLR bottle, Clean coffee pot with CLR, rinse 3 times.
If its safe for me and you after 3 rinses, I think its safe for the fish too, Ill probably wash it more than 3 times obviously lol :dancing:

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
RickB68 said:

Are you going to make any doors on the front or sides for storage? Lots of space under there :wink:
King of curious about that myself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
RickB68 said:

I dont think so, there too much to do in the aquarium itself... maybe later

Laurel Posted

How do you plan to access your filter? Will you just be using HOB style filtration? Finishing the top with "L joints" cut at a 45º angle would probably clean it up a little.
I got some more L wood today and some decoration pattern type as well to clean up a bit more

1 - 9 of 9 Posts