Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is my DIY background. It is composed of local rock harvested from a rock pile at my work from where they excavated to build the new building. All the rocks are siliconed to the glass, most of the support comes from stacking though as the bottom rocks are the heaviest and most stable.

Should I get some small rocks to fill in the cracks in the larger rock or leave them open as kind of a cave area for the fish to hang out in? I was going to leave it as it was but was thinking if I should extend the rocks on the side closer to the front of the tank

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
jschwab45212 said:
Should I get some small rocks to fill in the cracks in the larger rock or leave them open as kind of a cave area for the fish to hang out in? I was going to leave it as it was but was thinking if I should extend the rocks on the side closer to the front of the tank
Depends what you ant to do. If you fill in the cracks, obviously less chance of fish hiding and more time spent in the open where you can view them.

I think it looks good right now and perhaps some rocks on the side would be nice as well. What kind of fish are going in the tank?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This will be an african tank, mostly less agressive Mbuna and maybe a couple more agressive male peacocks.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
It looks great as is. I'd leave it alone or you run the risk of it starting to look unnatural. And I'd leave it unbalanced and not try to make each side look the same. Having a rock jutting out differently here and there is always a nice touch. I see you've done that. Don't go for symmetrical and it'll look more natural.

I know someone who did something similar with larger rocks, and the only problem you'll run into is the difficulty of netting out fish.

I've done similar without using silicone and, of course, couldn't stack as high, but like the look. Try adding a few scattered rocks in front also. This is what I did for my p. nigripinnis tank. The spaces made nice caves for the males.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
slinkster213 said:
did you cut the back of the rocks so that they are flat and have more surface area siliconed to the back of the glass or what?
Nope, I just selectivly chose rocks with at least one pretty flat side for the most surface area to stick. Then had to arrange the rock best I could with the flat side towards the glass.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I like it. I also agree with prov356, scatter some rocks in front.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I think it looks great!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts