Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys hows it going, i am new to this forum only just signed up.

i have 2 red devils, approx 1yr old i think. i woke up this morning to a whole bunch of little red devils.
after 3 months of owning the fish and seeing how they dont get along very well i thought i had purchased 2 males, after having a seperator in the 4 ft tank for just over 2 months now i realise they are male and female :).

just wondering how many other people here have had a similar experiance with their devils, and how long it will take before my baby devils will be at a salable size. i have already been out and purchased small fry liquid food to keep them happy :)

Cheers
Mav

·
Registered
56 Posts
Let me get this straight. Did the red devils get it on in the 1 month that they were together (without a divider)?

·
Registered
12,338 Posts
I've spawned midas numerous times, it usually takes about 60 days for them to get to an inch for me. BUT, I only feed once a day and they only get 1/3 water changes once a week. You can cut that time in half by doing double the work. They can easily get to an inch in 30 days. Stores usually want them around 2" though. And you'll probably not be able to sell too many so don't plan on saving hundreds of them unless you know a wholesaler...

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
divider has many slots in it to allow for easy flow and spawning.

have been told by a few pet stores they would take them, so if one only wants half then i can pass the rest on elsewhere...

·
Registered
947 Posts
It's a common method used by breeders...known as the "complete divider" method. You usually have better fertilization if you use a small powerhead blowing a gentle current from the male's side, toward the female's.

Another commonly used method is the "incomplete divider" method. In this method, a hole is cut in the divider only large enough for the smaller female to pass through. She can visit the male's side if she is interested, but can retreat if things get rough.

The first method is certainly safer.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I have used both methods successfully, but be aware that the divider with a hole can be dangerous for the larger mate trying to get through the opening to get to the smaller one. I would recommend the full divider, as I have lost several larger males with eye damage and fungus from its repeated trying to get to the smaller female.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.