Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys, figured id post my daily progress on here for people to give me some input on what they think.

i have a 60 gal tank.
Temp is set to 82F
i will be using seachem stability
it will be fishless
will be using ammonia
i have the API liquid master test kit. for Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate

Day 1 04/07/11: added Ammonia 4ppm (Added 1st dose of Stability)

Day 2 04/08/11: Ammonia 4 (Added 2nd dose of Stability)

Day 3 04/09/11: Ammonia 2.0 (Added 3rd dose of Stability)

Day 4 04/10/11: Ammonia 0.5 Nitrite 0 Nitrate 20 - Added 2.0 ammonia (Added 4th dose of Stability)

is it possible to start getting nitrate numbers, instead of nitrite?
my ammonia has dropped.. however the nitrites hasn't gone up?

i am doing a test every 24 hours.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Sounds like stability is working well.

From the data I would assume that the bacteria in stability is consuming the nitrite as it is being produced.

I would add more ammonia and keep dosing stability for the 7 days they instruct. I would then make sure that your bacteria colony, without a dose of stability, can convert 1ppm of ammonia all the way to nitrate in 24 hours before stocking the tank.

·
Registered
69 Posts
At this point, there really isn't any need to test for nitrates. You should start showing some nitrites soon. By the way nitrites can affect nitrate reading. I dosed amm for 5 days before it cleared then nitrites started to show and lasted for 2 weeks before it dropped. I also used a starter bacteria. Sounds like your on track

·
Registered
509 Posts
If he is showing 0 nitrite and 20 nitrate (and assuming no nitrate in his source water) then he may not see a nitrite spike.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Day 5 04/11/11: Ammonia 0.25 Nitrite 0-0.25 Nitrate 20 - Added 2.0 Ammonia ( Added 5th Dose of Stability)

This is todays stats.
i only tested for nitrates because my ammonia was dropping... and i was getting 0 nitrites... so i figured the ammonia had to go somewhere...

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
keep adding ammonia each day.
Looks like it's off to a good start.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Day 6 04/12/11: Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0.50-1.00 Nitrate 20-40 - Added 2.0 Ammonia ( Added 6th Dose of Stability)

These are todays stats.

so it seems like its getting rid of the ammonia within 24hrs.
any input anyone? good bad?

anything would be great. thanks for everyones help so far.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You are on track :thumb: My tank was able to process amm quick with nitrites slowly creeping up. Nitrite seem to take longer to "cycle" so keep on doing what your doing. When they do spike, try to keep them below 5ppm (if they get that high) with some water changes. Seemed like when I went through my nitrite phase that it took forever, but in reality only was 2 weeks. When they do drop, they will drop quickly. I guess if there is any advice from my end is just be patience :thumb:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey man thanks for taking a look at my cycle thread and progress :D.

iv heard mixed reviews about doing a water change during a cycle. some people say do it. and some say dont.

so im a little confused. lol

·
Registered
509 Posts
Only do a water change if your ammonia or nitrite gets above 5ppm. Nitrates can go through the roof and it won't affect the cycling.

Then just do a big water change at the end to reduce nitrates.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Day 7 04/13/11: Ammonia 0 Nitrite 0.50-1.00 Nitrate 40-80 - Added 2.0 Ammonia ( Added 7th Dose of Stability)

here are todays results.
anyone? :D

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Nobis911 said:

iv heard mixed reviews about doing a water change during a cycle. some people say do it. and some say dont.

The only time you'd need to do a water exchange while cycling is if you cycle the tank with fish in it.
I think you haven't added fish yet, correct?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Kanorin said:
Nobis911 said:

The only time you'd need to do a water exchange while cycling is if you cycle the tank with fish in it.
I think you haven't added fish yet, correct?
thats correct i havnt added fish yet :D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Day 8 04/14/11: Ammonia 0 Nitrite 1.00 Nitrate 40-80 - Added 2.0 Ammonia ( Added 8th Dose of Stability)

these are todays stats :D
any thoughts anyone?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Looks like it is still on track. One day you'll just check and nitrite will be 0 after adding ammonia then you know you are good.

8 days is great for where you are at. I just did 3 weeks with seeded media.

·
Registered
69 Posts
dotbomb said:
Looks like it is still on track. One day you'll just check and nitrite will be 0 after adding ammonia then you know you are good.

8 days is great for where you are at. I just did 3 weeks with seeded media.
Thats also how long it took my tank to cycle with a starter bacteria. Like dotbomb said one day soon nitrite will be 0 when you check it. When nitrites do drop, it is quick! When i cycled my tank, I also test nitrates while still having nitrites. I was getting readings of about 80 ppm. Then i saw some threads about how having nitrites affect nitrate readings. When my nitrites finally dropped, I tested my nitrates and my readings were at 20 ppm. Sounds like you are getting close :thumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts