Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on day 32 of a "7 day Cycle" My ammonia finally goes back to 0 after 24 hours but my Nitrites have been off the charts since Day 17 >5ppm My Nitrates are at 40-80ppm I am so tired of looking at this empty tank and my patience is running out. I recently turned the heat up to 80-82.

Is my tank going to cycle soon??? I feed the BB every other day with a half does. 40 drops of Dr Tim's ammonia in my 90 gallon. But I don't see an end in site. I assume since my Nitrates are 40-80ppm that the Nitrites are converting, but everytime I test I get that deep purple/violet color.

Is everything going as planned and when can I see an end to this HELP!!!

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
You might want to do some small water changes (20-25%) to lower your nitrites below 5 ppm. I'm doing a cycle at the moment also and was going through the same process (I say "was" with hope because I just tested my nitrites and they seem to have finally dropped to 0.5 ppm after a couple of weeks of lingering around 5 ppm :dancing: ). I used Dr. Tim's also. The WC was his recommendation to get my nitrites under control and get the cycle going.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool..I will try that. How many WC do you think I should do. Just 1 at 20- 25% or do a weekly water change until my nitrites go down to 0ppm

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
You just want to do enough water changes to get below 5 ppm not down to 0 (you need to let the BB do the work to get you to zero). I've also been warned not to do too large a water change as it can apparently disturb the cycling process (better to do several smaller ones if necessary).

·
Registered
64 Posts
It took 6 weeks to establish the cycle in my 55 gal. It can take a long time, but the results are worth the wait.

Dave

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll do a 25% water change tonite..then test nitrites...I'll keep testing for nitrites and see where there at and base my water changes on the readings. I'll do another one over the weekend too. and just keep testing.

Thank you for the advice

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I dumped 2 bottles of Dr Tim's Bacteria in their. My 7 day cycle has turned into 31. It's working..I know it is. Ammonia gone after 24 hrs, nitrite spike and I have 40-80ppm Nitrates. I think the water changes will help.

It's just so frustrating because I really have no control. Mother nauture is a bitch :D

Not to mention I really really want my Oscar already!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
What I'm saying is though if you get a sponge or floss which has been up on a tank for a while and pop it in your filter you may find that your nitrate producing bacterial colony gets a bit of a boost and help things get in order more quickly.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will definetly try that if I'm not seeing any movement by day 40. Just ask if I can have used filter floss, and then just add it in my filter. Should i take out the filter floss I have in their now? and replace it with seeded floss? or shove it in their and make it fit with my floss.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Should i take out the filter floss I have in their now? and replace it with seeded floss? or shove it in their and make it fit with my floss.
You shouldn't mess with opening your filter at all. You may do more harm than good. If you get some media, tie it onto the intake of your filter.

This is normal cycling time, btw. I know it's hard to wait, but patience will take you far in this hobby. :)

And you won't see any 'movement' as far as nitrite tests go. It won't gradually decline, but suddenly drop. Don't worry about the test results, good things are still happening. :thumb:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ok...i'll just do a 25% water change to alieve the high nitrites, then add a quarter dose of ammonia. Although I added a half dose this morning and 10 hours later it was 0ppm

should I add a quarter dose everyday? or skip a few days?, I just paranois cause everyone always says you need to keep feeding the BB ammonia or it will starve.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
You don't need to feed it daily. Adding it every 2-3 days is probably better. I've learned that adding it so frequently only serves to drive nitrites up.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
agreed, I actaully only did about an 18% water change. 3 5 gallon buckets. 15 gallons. Re-tested my nitrites i think went to like 2ppm but to be honest it's so hard to tell the difference between 2 and 5ppm on that API color chart.

Although my nitrates went from 20-40ppm to 5-10ppm

I'll add about a quarter dose (25 drops) on thursday

Parameters on Day 32
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite- 2-3ppm
Nitrates 5-10ppm

Thank you for the support/advice and words of encouragement, it's nice to know that I'm not alone in my cycling frustrations. Hard to vent to the wife..talking about fish and my tank is like when she talks to me about shoes. Everyone thinks i'm nuts when i talk about cycling a tank..they don't understand and just say "AHH just throw in the stupid fish" it's so frustrating trying to get people to understand why you're suppose to cycle a tank. I'm the crazy fish guy now :lol:

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
Your parameters look fine. Just keep dosing every 2-3 days. Don't bother testing nitrates, as it's not an accurate test with nitrites in the tank. What does your ammonia dose bring the ammonia level up to?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
If it's any consolation, the low nitrite reading I referred to on my tank earlier turned out to be inaccurate. I can't tell 2 from 5 either on the API liquid test kit so I picked up some API test strips at a BA's Boxing Day sale and tried one of them. The reading on the strip was 0.5 for nitrites. When I retested with the liquid kit an hour later though it was still at 5 (or 2) ppm. The test strips are amazingly inaccurate and the liquid kits can be hard to interpret. :-?

I'm on day 20 now so you're not alone...as others have said this is a rite of passage.

prov356 said:
What does your ammonia dose bring the ammonia level up to?
prov356, I'm curious why you ask this?

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
The test strips are amazingly inaccurate and the liquid kits can be hard to interpret.
That's one of the reasons I've never worried about nitrite levels. That's a suggestion that's come around recently, but I think we need to be careful with not over-complicating the process of fishless cycling. I've always just let my nitrite go off chart. It comes down, and the tank cycles.

prov356, I'm curious why you ask this?
Different strategies can be taken when dosing. I'm just thinking ahead.

·
Registered
10,006 Posts
funnyjew2,

If you're going to open a new thread in another forum, same topic, you should probably let folks know, so we can all abandon this one.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I use Dr Tim's ammonia chloride, so it's concentrated for 2ppm. so 90 gallon tank 90 drops. Half dose 45 or quarter dose 30 drops.

I'm just going to drop in 30 drops every 2 days from now on. Everytime I do the ammonia is 0ppm in 24 hours. I got that part of the cycle going. I've also decided to not test everyday...it just makes me want to Hulk out!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts