Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have the Cascade 1000 and it's leaked twice now. When it happened the first time, I took it apart, cleaned everything and put it back together no more problem. Now this time about two weeks later, there's a pool of water on the floor again. I took it apart, everything looks fine. Gaskets look good, no damage whatsoever. Impeller is in good shape. No cracks on the body itself.

Help!

TIA

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Sorry to hear that. I have no experience with this particular filter, but in any canister filter the reason for leaking is either the main gasket or the hose connections. A crack in the actual body would be rare, and probably quite visible. Plus presumably you would know if you dropped it during cleaning. A broken impeller will make the pump louder or stop it from working, but it won't cause a leak.

In short check the gasket and the hose connections again. It is one of those, but these kinda things can be very hard to spot.

Best of luck!

·
2,096 Posts
In addition to the above advice, think about getting one of those rubbermaid dish washing bins and putting it under the canister. At least this way, any leaks are contained.

·
Registered
449 Posts
NewkeeperRico said:
Ok so I have the Cascade 1000 and it's leaked twice now. When it happened the first time, I took it apart, cleaned everything and put it back together no more problem. Now this time about two weeks later, there's a pool of water on the floor again. I took it apart, everything looks fine. Gaskets look good, no damage whatsoever. Impeller is in good shape. No cracks on the body itself.

Help!

TIA
Try a little Vaseline on all of the 0-rings/gaskets, it will not leach into the water and is not toxic to the fish. If the leak stops you need new seals. I use a little on my seals just because it makes the pieces slide together easier, and, stops leaks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts