Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Having a bit of a dilema with my new tank, but that's for a different post!

Anyway, I have a Koi Angel in my community tank, bought when very small and has grown into a handsome fellow I think you will agree (he is actually white despite the photo) :)

I was going to move my community tank fish into the 240l tank for a while, whilst I re-do the 200l. Then they were going back and I was going to use the 240l for Discus. But...I have always wanted a marine tank and the 200l, I think, would make an interesting reef tank.

So, a few questions about angel fish.

I am desperate to try breeding some fish, and I think Angels would be nice. I've read the articles and think I could manage it.

1) Would angel fish breed in a community tank with clown loaches, catfish, tetras, danios etc?
2) If I introduced four small angel fish, would the larger angel give them a hard time? Would introducing the smaller fish a few weeks before help, to let them get their territory?
3) He's currently living in hard, alkaline water, but the new tank is more acidic (6.5) with tanins, and softer. What's the best way to adapt him, and my other fish, to this? Maybe transfer water from the new tank to the old tank in stages? Say 10% every week, to bring them closer?

I'm really into my South american planted tank (despite difficulties getting plants locally) and think Angels and Tetras would do great in it. Also the larger tank should allow my catfish and clown loaches a bit more growing room :fish:

Just wondering if I'm on the right track, as this way I can keep my current stock and start the marine tank.

Thanks in advance :thumb:

·
Banned
178 Posts
It depends on your angels personality it may be ok with new angels in the tank. I wouldn't do angels that are a lot smaller than the one you have now. Angels can be dominant. Mine established a pecking order when first introduced to eachother. They may show some aggression at first but it will die down in a few days. I would add 4 and let them pair off, which might take a little while. If they do form a pair and start spawning they can be fierce parents, forcing all other fish to the other end of the tank. You may want to set up a separate tank in case they do start spawning so your other fish don't have to go through that. As for the water, your angels will be much better off in soft water. Good luck with your salt water tank! And your angel is very pretty!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, think I shall give it a go. I do have a spare tank or two that could house spawning fish if needed :thumb:

I think it makes more sense to go for an angel tank than a discus as I know my current fish will be ok with them and the planting/water should suit them well :fish:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.