Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for th e past week I have been doin water changes of at least 25 to 30 % and the ammonia is still high. ( read profile 1n need ,help with ammonia) I thought that it would go down by now but it's still reading 2.0 it won't go lower my nitrate is at about 20 or 30 . any suggestions?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Test your tap water for ammonia. Is your test kit expired? Try taking a water sample to a LFS. they usually test for free.

·
Registered
127 Posts
1n n33d said:
for th e past week I have been doin water changes of at least 25 to 30 % and the ammonia is still high. ( read profile 1n need ,help with ammonia) I thought that it would go down by now but it's still reading 2.0 it won't go lower my nitrate is at about 20 or 30 . any suggestions?
Add a liveplant while your at the LFS. Buy a cheap 3-pack of betta bulbs. They are only a few bucks and they will suck the ammonia out of the water as they grow!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Your ammonia will go down when the bacteria population grows to process it. You should read the articles in the Library section on cycling and jump starting the cycle.

·
Registered
320 Posts
spqrzilla said:
Your ammonia will go down when the bacteria population grows to process it. You should read the articles in the Library section on cycling and jump starting the cycle.
:thumb:

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the ammonia won't go any lower than 2.0 would it go down on it's own or should I keep doing water changes?

·
Registered
977 Posts
Are you doing a fishless cycle or does the tank have fish in it? If it has fish, you need to get the ammonia level lower to avoid harm to them. Water changes are the best way to do that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's 6 starter fish (purple danios)I had since I got the tank to start it up . It's been 2 months

·
Registered
750 Posts
What kinda test kit are you using?

What kinda filter you got on the tank?

Are you adding a good declorinator? What kind?

Very wierd.......

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have a 100 gl canister filter, water changes are done just about every day now and i use prime. I have been having this problem for almost a month in half still no progress

·
Registered
155 Posts
you need to add something that will accelerate you bacteria levels.bacter boost is a good bet as is liquid gravel vac.What are the rest of your water params?2 months is a long time to have high ammo.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Its a myth that water changes delay cycling of a tank. So long as the water contains ammonia, the bacteria population has adequate food to grow. There are things that can delay the growth of the bacteria, and in some cases high levels of ammonia can do that especially with the nitrite to nitrate process. But even if the water change delays a cycle, it can't prevent it and it is good practice to do water changes to prevent harm to fish in a tank that is cycling.

What kind of maintenance are you doing with the filters? Do you try to clean them and how do you do so? A long delayed cycle is not impossible, but I am wondering if you are doing something to defeat the growth of the necessary bacteria colony.

Most of the bacteria additives in the stores are ineffective I believe. I have not had any success with them and I've seen few people claim that they work for them. I experimented once comparing two tanks, one with Cycle and StressZyme and the other without and did not notice any significant difference in time to cycle.

More people report success with Biospira.

·
Registered
750 Posts
why do you keep donig water change?
He is trying to keep fish alive....
I am wondering if you are doing something to defeat the growth of the necessary bacteria colony.
It has to be. Either that or something is producing so much ammo that it can't be resolved. Test kits could be bad.
Are you adding the prime to the tank and then refilling?

Don't touch the filter. No fish have died? I am thinking there is a carcass in the tank? Is there any organic matter in the tank that could be rotting?

Are you using liquid or strip test kits?

What are the levels out of the tap? What are the levels out of the tap after declor?

·
Registered
155 Posts
1n n33d
that all sounds like great advice from anyone,but if you are having actual high ammo do not hesitate to use the additive I recomended.in my tanks it is a proven performer as well as with everyone I know.If your problem will not go away according to your tests, definetly get your water tested by a pro,ie,not most fish shops,get it done by a water testing company.good luck

·
Registered
30 Posts
You have Nitrate readings so your setup is processing ammonia.

I suspect you are using a Nessler based ammonia test. Prime will give a false positive with a Nessler based test kit. IIRC, Nessler based kits just uses 1 reagent, can't remember the name of the other ammonia test kit type, but it typically uses several reagents.

http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/Prime_faq.html

Try a regular water conditioner without any ammolock or fancy ammonia/nitrite reducing capabilities after your next waterchange to see if that makes any difference. If it shows no ammonia, it doesn't mean Prime is bad (I use it myself), but just expect false ammonia readings just after adding Prime. Prime should decipate after 24 hours, so you could just wait a day or so before testing if you have no other water conditioners. Risky though if you do have an ammonia problem.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I haven't done a water change in about 2 weeks or so to see if the amnonia would go down . Well it stays steady at about 1.0. Today I put some ammo lock to see if it would help but instead the amnonia went up to about 4.0. Any suggestions??? :(

·
Registered
451 Posts
ed8t said:
I suspect you are using a Nessler based ammonia test. Prime will give a false positive with a Nessler based test kit. IIRC, Nessler based kits just uses 1 reagent, can't remember the name of the other ammonia test kit type, but it typically uses several reagents.

http://www.seachem.com/support/FAQs/Prime_faq.html
It's possible that ed8t is right. Prime turns the ammonia into a non toxic form, but it will still be read on some test kits beyond toxic levels.

Also, I found this about Ammo Lock, it sounds just like Prime IMO.

"Ammo-Lock detoxifies or "locks up" ammonia instantly. Although the ammonia is still present in the water, it is not toxic to aquatic life."

http://www.equarium.com.au/store/detail.asp?id=222&cat=3

·
Registered
195 Posts
I use Amquel instead of ammolock and it also reads false positive for about 24 hours after adding, then it starts to go down. I have high ammonia in my well water and city water supplies are often fairly high these days according to some stuff I've been reading, high enough that some ill people and maybe stressed fish would not fare well.

I had real problems till I started using amquel with water changes and added the cycle. I prefer biozyme, but can't find it. Anyway, test your tap water with a liquid kit, water changes aren't lowering your ammonia, it is likely that your cities supply is high. I think this is a real health problem since many people do not handle ammonia very well.

Anyway, i hope your tank is doing well now. The cycle kicked mine off good by pouring in the filter and also the addition of some bubble walls to add a lot of aeration has helped and will lower the ammonia too. I'm not big on plants because my fish seem to tear them up, but I do have one planted tank that is was doing better than the rest due to the plants.

·
Registered
1 Posts
8) try borrowing someone dirty filter that mite help because generaly that is high in bacteria and it should help with the situation

1 - 20 of 56 Posts