Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
So I bought this acara a few months ago and up to about a month ago I noticed he stomach was sunken in.. since then has gotten worse and swims awkwardly and colour is all flushed out.. was wondering if anyone knew what this was??
Thanks in advance

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,516 Posts
What are the test results for pH, ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

Are his fins split, bitten or mushy? I can't tell from the pic.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess it's hard to tell but he's fins seem fine no rips he's just really sunken in and flushed out..

Test results from the tank.. tested last week all was in order everything low, tested this morning and nitrates seem a little high.. may be time to do a quick water change..

·
Super Moderator
40,516 Posts
I think you need to give us the readings. That dark red if it is nitrate like the US is too high. You want a orange color...more yellow than red.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Difficult to say what specifically it is. It's body shape is now seriously deformed (and i'm not referring to it's stomach but rather over all body shape). A sunken stomach might mean it is not getting nutrients and a nutritional deficiency has caused the body to deform. Maybe an internal parasite? Since the fish was only purchased a month ago and appears to be larger then just juvenile, it may very well have come to you with a host of health issues. It's coloration is also indicative that it is sick. Sorry, I am of no help in terms of what you should use to treat as I am really not that knowledgeable in how to deal with sick fish.
Water change and keeping nitrates low is always a good idea and of benefit to all cichlids. But really, I don't see how it could really be the culprit or issue. A blue acara is 10x more hardy then just about any Geo. If your water has been fine for the Geos, can't see how it would be the underlying problem for a blue acara.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts