Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my intended setup:

4 Metriaclima sp. Msobo
4 Cynotilapia Afra "Likoma"
3 Pseudotropheus sp. Acei
3 Labeotropheus Fuelleborni
2 Melanochromis Joanjohnsonae

5 Syno Petricola

Currently I have a pretty large variety of mbuna (a lot of individual species + some of this list) in this tank and I want to narrow it down to just a few species. The cookie cutter guide suggested numbers that seemed to be similar to what I'm aiming for but I am not sure if the full grown fuelleborni will be too much for the rest of the smaller mbuna. Also I am trying to reduce the number of species I have while maintaining the number of individuals, but should I actually be increasing my total number of fish because I am going with 3 dwarf mbunas? I am pretty interested in getting Pseudo. Polit and I think it would fit with what I have so I could substitute them for one of these species.

Of course any species suggestions or general advice is appreciated.

Thanks to all in advance.

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
I'd bump off the Melanochromis and increase the females on the others. Pairs, trios and even quads can be troublesome because there are less females to spread the aggression.

Polit has a rep for having trouble coloring up unless they are dominant in the tank.

·
Registered
67 Posts
4 fuelleburni is not enough and the male will endlesly chase the females. 1 male and 6-7 females will have a greater chanse of success. I don't know about other species but I think 3 females for a male is too low. Mbunas are radical poligamists.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I'm a bit concerned I wouldn't have the space for 8 adult fuelleborni, they are the size of Acei full grown right? At the moment I only have one juvenile female who is buddies with the female Joanjohnsonae I have. Maybe I will leave her as a loner and increase the number of females for my other mbuna. What's a good m:f ratio for most mbuna then? the cookie cutter guide says 1:2 for fuelleborni but apparently that is outdated? I really thought 1m:3f would ensure the girls' survival.

My vision with this tank is to have a nice array of colors and a less than common combination of species. The melanochromis joanjohnsonae thus far are among the most peaceful inhabitants of my tank. my current stock list that I am trying to rework into a unique show tank is this:

4 Msobo (1:3)
3 Acei
4 Labs (2:2)
2 Joanjohnsonae (1:1)
2 Rusties(2 males)
1 Hongi (m)
1 Met. Greshakei(f)
1 Demasoni

3 Syno Petricola

Hopefully this helps people see where I'm coming from with my intended stocking. Thanks again all.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I think you should limit the number of species of mbunas in your tank to 4 and keep them in suitable numbers.
Yes fuelleburnis will become larger than your dwarf mbunas and at least in my opinion stocking fish with different sizes makes your tank prettier.
I keep my male fuelleburni with 7 females and their behaviour is normal (at least by mbuna standards) but there are others who keep their mbunas in quads or less without problems.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if I have 6-7 adult fuellborni and 6-7 full grown Acei, I still have room left for more fish in a 75g? I know stocking malawi tanks is about overstocking but my inclination is still to give big fish more room. I'm just looking for clarification because I hate removing fish from my tank and when I get this new tank composition going I want to hopefully set it in stone.

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
If I were you I might do:
1:4 Met msobo
1:4 L. Fuelleborni
1:4 Ps. Acei
1:4 Joanjohnsonae

The polit might not get along with the msobo, so I'd leave them out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really like what I have seen of Cynotilapia Afra and my LFS has ordered some Likoma White Tops, would substituting them for Joanjohnsonae be a good idea? Is it filtration that is limiting me to 20 mbuna? I am going to be running two 400gph HoB filters if that changes anything.

I've taken all of this advice to heart and adjusted my plans, surprised I've gotten so much in less than 24 hours.

·
Super Moderator
40,504 Posts
An ideal stocking for a 75G is 4 species. Depending on the species, a common male/female ratio that works is 1m:4f. That is where the 20 individuals comes from.

The fish are territorial and each male wants to claim a square foot (or more) of substrate. Maximum distance between neighbors is desirable, so a long tank works better than a cube.

So think four species in a 48" tank. Five species in a 60" tank. Six species in a 72" tank. Etc. This does not apply to all species. A really aggressive species you might want only three in a 72" tank. But you get the idea.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts