Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! Just wanted to post a picture of my biggest EBJD. Would love to see everyone elses EBJD .

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually yeah Jason the one BGJD in the 1st pic is the one from the first shipment.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Hi Flippercon,

You EBJD looks great, especially the fins. What is the other fish in the clay pot with him? Do they seem to be trying to spawn together?

Thank you for sharing.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The other fish is a H. Carpintis. They do act that way at points . Slapping tails and what not. The Ebjd is really passive. Thanks for the compliments. Hopefully this Ebjd is male and will pair up with one of the BGJD I have in there. The. H. Carpintis was moved to another 55 due to it being the only odd ball in the tank.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Is it a regular H. Carpintis or "short bodied"?

The reason I ask is my "short bodied" H. Carpintis paired up with my EBJD. She actually paired up with a previous EBJD I had as well.

Similar to your EBJD, mine is passive. The "short bodied" H. Carpintis has to fend off their tank mate on his behalf.

I just thought it was interesting that your EBJD and H. Carpintis show spawning characteristics with other BGJDs in the tank.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You know I just got that fish last week from a friend and he questioned if it was a short body. I am now thinking that too. So did your pair spawn, what happened ? How do you sex the h carpintis? I don't know the sex of the Ebjd yet.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
They constantly show spawning characteristics; however, I have never seen any eggs. I do not expect or desire for them to have eggs/fry. But them being a pair creates a nice balance to the tank.

I am not sure of the sex of either fish. My determination is a best guess based on examining their vents when they show spawning characteristics. I am not sure how accurate this is as I feel like I am comparing apples to oranges.

The "short bodied" H. Carpintis instantly showed interest in both EBJDs she has been housed with; she was with each one at diffrent times, all three were never in the same tank at the same time. She must have a thing for blue; or realistically she takes what she can get.

Thanks,
Matt

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the reason the carpintis was given to me was because it wouldn't leave a smaller Ebjd alone. That Ebjd was about 4". So my buddy gave it to me. Now it wanted to pair up with my Ebjd. I moved it to another tank with 2" H. carpintis . Maybe it will chill out. Thanks for all the info. Oh and I am guessing that H.carpintis is short bodied. When it was purchased it wasn't labeled as such but is pretty short.

·
Registered
406 Posts
jason_nj said:
Good looking fish. That's not the BGJD you got from me right?
Actually I didn't even notice her in the background. I was talking about the other fish, I was confused because it looks like a Texas cichlid but looks like it paired with your EBJD. After reading your thread with Matt, it all makes sense now. Hopefully you'll get a pair soon, the female BGJDs you got from me might be a little small to pair though.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah the BGJD females are a little small for right now but the male you sent me has paired with a regular jd in the bunch. :popcorn:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts