Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished setting up my Eheim 2217 filter and Hydor ETH200 heater last night. So far so good, no leaks and the Eheim is super quiet!!

I have the spray bar pointing towards the surface and I put my maxijet 1000 power head in the right corner (7-8 inches to the right of the spray bar) pointing towards the Eheim intake to push debris towards it.

Heres a video:

After I finish cycling the tank im going to have 9-12 total; aceis, red zebras and yellow labs. Does the spray bar look like its giving enough surface agitation to get a good oxygen supply for them? If not I have a maxijet 400 power head I can put next to the Eheim intake and point it towards the surface so I can get better surface agitation on the left side of the tank.

What do yall think? :-?

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
More than enough.

Most people here recommend against acei in a 55g (4') tank. They recommend 5' minimum, since acei are a larger mbuna. Whatever you decide on, 9-12 is pretty understocked. You can comfortably hold at least 18 mbuna in that tank.

·
Banned
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I finally got the rocks set up. I had some holey rock but I didnt like how it came out. I wanted to buy some lace rock but I only found one place online and its $120 for 24 pieces and I dont know the size of the pieces so itd suck to pay that much for some tiny pieces.

So I went to my local stone company and bought 209lbs of their Colorado river boulders @ $0.14 per lb. Total was $31.61. :D They were already in pretty clean condition but to be on the safe side I took them to a self service car wash and pressure washed them.

I tried to bust some of the larger rocks up to get some smaller / medium pieces but these rocks are pretty strong. I took a hammer and chisel, nada, then just started whacking it with the hammer and the rock barely chipped so no smaller rocks. I wouldve like to have had some smaller pieces so I couldve made some smaller caves but it is what it is.

The bubble bar wont be there when I get my fish, Im only using it while I cycle the tank. I also have the black background I need to put up so right now it looks a little boring but Im hoping the color from the cichlids will liven it up.

What do yall think? :popcorn:

·
Banned
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I changed it already and its barely been 3hrs. :lol:

The other set up was too plain looking because the rocks were all off white and basically the same color. It did nothing for the tank, it looked all washed out. I like this set up alot better! :dancing:

·
Banned
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
GTZ said:
Looks better, nice rockwork.
Thanks!

Happy New Years everyone!! :thumb:

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
More color looks better. Good choice there. For my thinking, I like a more varied look. More rock at some point, less at the other end, maybe? What about stacking a few in double rows so that fish can go in and turn if they are being chased? More true hiding spots if one can't see all the way through the hole to the other side. Just suggestions on what I might do. Your tank, your setup, so enjoy what ever you do! :thumb:

For cracking the rocks, you might try a different approach. Rock is hard but brittle. It doesn't react well to hard blows sometimes but repeated blows will create a crack and split it. The theory behind jackhammers is not that they hit so hard but that they hit the same spot repeatedly. Might try that if you are still wanting to split some.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts