Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are my five new African Cichlids that I am almost certain that they are all Mbuna's.
3 of which I am 90% sure I know what they are (Feel Free to correct me if I am wrong)

I have them all numbered in the pictures along with what I believe their scientific and nicknames are:
#1 : Labidochromis Caeruleus aka White Lab
#2 : Pseudotropheus Acei aka Yellow Tail Acei
#3 : Chromis Caeruleus aka Yellow Lab
#4 : I don't know ???
#5 : I don't know ???
Please help Identify #4 and #5...They might even be the same type, just different shades of color.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
40,544 Posts
Those yellow labs look too elongated to be yellow labs to me. What were they labeled in the store?

·
Registered
9,071 Posts
That mystery "Yellow Lab" is more like a Johanni type, which has yellowish females and black and blue males. Females can turn darker when mature. Might still be a hybrid. Not a real "Yellow Lab" in any event. See if the color changes over time.

4 and 5 look like Zebra type as said. 4 even looks like a blue Estherae male with the color turned off. See if he turns light blue. Maybe just some mixed up Zebra hybrid.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
noki said:
That mystery "Yellow Lab" is more like a Johanni type, which has yellowish females and black and blue males. Females can turn darker when mature. Might still be a hybrid. Not a real "Yellow Lab" in any event. See if the color changes over time.

4 and 5 look like Zebra type as said. 4 even looks like a blue Estherae male with the color turned off. See if he turns light blue. Maybe just some mixed up Zebra hybrid.
I believe your right, I have been to a few local fish store's that aren't "Chains" such as Petco, Pet Supermarket ect ect and the local fish stores that have African Cichlids labeled as "Yellow Labs" are a MUCH brighter Yellow color. Mine is like a darker "Dirty Yellow" almost orange ish.
And as far as number 4 and 5, I was skeptical on the "Zebra" types since neither one of mine have any resemblance in having any stripes. But when I google searched images Metriaclima estherae, my number 4 and 5 looks just like those!
Thank you

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.