Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi :) I'm new here. I'm the new owner of a 36 gallon tank with a few african cichlids in it. Here's a picture. I know it's not much now but it's a work in progress. I plan to add more plants and possibly one more fish.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oscar Madison said:
Greetings to you Doc.

Looks like your off to a good start.

36g bowfront?
It sure is. Any ideas as far as more plants fake or live? I'd like to get something with ground cover

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Welcome aboard! :thumb:

I like live plants, but africans like to eat most of them so it can be a challenge. Java fern and some of the swords survive in my african tank. It is definatly simpler to just use plastic, but I think real plants really spruce a tank up.

You will also want to add quite a bit of rockwork of you are going to add Mbuna cichlids (which is is usually what people refer to when they use the word 'african' in a general sense.

Keep posting pics as you progress, everyone here loves to watch fellow hobbyists projects :popcorn:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well we had a bad thing happen overnight last night. Keep in mind I'm new to Cichlids and these types of tanks so please don't get on me too much for not knowing a whole lot. 3 of my 5 fish died last night. I took them back to the place I got them today and some water to test because I didn't have a test kit. Well, as they suspected my nitrates were through the roof. So I got some stuff to get rid of nitrates and the test trips. I tested my tap water and it has all the ideal ratings so I knew it wasn't my tap water. So I did a water change and cleaned the rocks with the vacume, turned down my heat a bit and decided to feed only every other day for now. After I did the cleaning I tested my water again after about 20 minutes and the nitrates we significantly lower but still not good. I then added the stuff to get rid of the nitrates. I'll test again tomorrow. Hopefully it gets better.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Sorry for the loss :) Sounds like your tank hasn't cycled yet.

I'm assuming that your nitrites were high not nitrates. They will spike back up again until the cycle is completed. Feed sparingly, don't replace the deceased, and do waterchanges until the cycle is complete. If you get two or three consecutive daily readings of 0ppm of both ammonia and nitrite your cycle is pretty much complete. Here is a good article on what cycling means.

Good Luck :thumb: [/quote]

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
tannable75 said:
Sorry for the loss :) Sounds like your tank hasn't cycled yet.

I'm assuming that your nitrites were high not nitrates. They will spike back up again until the cycle is completed. Feed sparingly, don't replace the deceased, and do waterchanges until the cycle is complete. If you get two or three consecutive daily readings of 0ppm of both ammonia and nitrite your cycle is pretty much complete. Here is a good article on what cycling means.

Good Luck :thumb:
[/quote]

Yes I did mean Nitrates. You'll have to forgive me. I worked a 40 hour week last week and over the weekend I had to fulfill my reserve obligations to the Navy and now I'm back working another 40. No rest for the weary! That article helped a lot! Thank you so much!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts