Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd start a thread about my new tank set-up...even if it's just stood empty in the lounge at the moment 8)

I was lucky to pick up a Fluval Roma 240 (4ft) second hand, near to me, that came with lots of extras such as CO2 kit, test kit, Eheim Pro 2 and Fluval 305 filters amongst other things. I was going to run two Eheim Classics as I don't like the Fluval 205 I had in the other tank. The Eheim Pro 2 has a heater built in which is a bonus, so that will be staying, and I will perhaps sell the Fluval 305 and buy a Eheim 2213 to run as well.

Lighting is standard Powerglow and Aquaglow 40W T8 Tubes for now, I think an extra tube will be squeezed in somewhere as I really want this to be a planted tank. I'm going to be keeping Discus and Angels in it, and going for a heavily planted Amazonian biotope.

I went to my LFS today and came across the perfect centre piece for the tank, a giant piece of wood that, after some trial and error, I found would make an excellent bridge. I can't wait for it to get covered in moss! Ok, so the wood is my first detour from a true biotope but hey, it may have come from the Amazon :wink:

Anyway, that's all for now, I'm keeping this thread as a record for my progress as much as anything :popcorn:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Steve, worried it might be too big but it's "hollow" underneath and so doesn't actually take up much in the way of volume. I have a great root that was going in but I think it would be too much with the plants I have planned.

Brandon, I haven't done anything with the wood yet. I usually just soak them for a few days then rinse with boiling water. For this piece though I shall be filling the tank as I don't have a bucket big enough :lol: and also I need to check the tank for leaks - looks fine but I'd rather find out now! I shall the drain the tank (use the water on my garden) and then start laying the substrate.

As it is an Amazonian biotope I'm going for I wouldn't mind some tanins in the water anyway :thumb:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I shall try it, and that would give me more room for the root I have.

Tank is filled today, no leaks :thumb: and as I am still coming up with a planting p[lan etc it will probably be a few weeks before I drain it. The wood can stay in there until then. It looks even better now it's submerged!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will put all of the "progress" pics up as I go along. Hopefully someone will stop me or give me other ideas if they see something, or if all goes wll it could prove helpful to others...

I have a cracking piece of root that I would like to use, but maybe not in this tank :-? I was thinking of covering it moss and having Xmas moss growing at the end of each root, giving a tree like appearance but as I say, it might be too much for this tank :?

Maybe I should stick minimal with just the one piece of wood.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.