Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd start a thread about my new tank set-up...even if it's just stood empty in the lounge at the moment 8)

I was lucky to pick up a Fluval Roma 240 (4ft) second hand, near to me, that came with lots of extras such as CO2 kit, test kit, Eheim Pro 2 and Fluval 305 filters amongst other things. I was going to run two Eheim Classics as I don't like the Fluval 205 I had in the other tank. The Eheim Pro 2 has a heater built in which is a bonus, so that will be staying, and I will perhaps sell the Fluval 305 and buy a Eheim 2213 to run as well.

Lighting is standard Powerglow and Aquaglow 40W T8 Tubes for now, I think an extra tube will be squeezed in somewhere as I really want this to be a planted tank. I'm going to be keeping Discus and Angels in it, and going for a heavily planted Amazonian biotope.

I went to my LFS today and came across the perfect centre piece for the tank, a giant piece of wood that, after some trial and error, I found would make an excellent bridge. I can't wait for it to get covered in moss! Ok, so the wood is my first detour from a true biotope but hey, it may have come from the Amazon :wink:

Anyway, that's all for now, I'm keeping this thread as a record for my progress as much as anything :popcorn:

·
Registered
220 Posts
That hunk of wood looks GREAT.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Steve, worried it might be too big but it's "hollow" underneath and so doesn't actually take up much in the way of volume. I have a great root that was going in but I think it would be too much with the plants I have planned.

Brandon, I haven't done anything with the wood yet. I usually just soak them for a few days then rinse with boiling water. For this piece though I shall be filling the tank as I don't have a bucket big enough :lol: and also I need to check the tank for leaks - looks fine but I'd rather find out now! I shall the drain the tank (use the water on my garden) and then start laying the substrate.

As it is an Amazonian biotope I'm going for I wouldn't mind some tanins in the water anyway :thumb:

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I'd put the wood vertical and use it to hide heater/filters. Cut the top if you don't want it poking out. Would look especially cool since the bottom (left side in the picture) has all those little gaps for fish to swim through.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I shall try it, and that would give me more room for the root I have.

Tank is filled today, no leaks :thumb: and as I am still coming up with a planting p[lan etc it will probably be a few weeks before I drain it. The wood can stay in there until then. It looks even better now it's submerged!

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will put all of the "progress" pics up as I go along. Hopefully someone will stop me or give me other ideas if they see something, or if all goes wll it could prove helpful to others...

I have a cracking piece of root that I would like to use, but maybe not in this tank :-? I was thinking of covering it moss and having Xmas moss growing at the end of each root, giving a tree like appearance but as I say, it might be too much for this tank :?

Maybe I should stick minimal with just the one piece of wood.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.