Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
40 gallon tank. Looking to put in Cyp. leptosoma and some sort of shell dwelling cichs. Any suggestions? Also can I put in dwarf Calvus?
How many of each and please describe an ideal substraight set up.

Thanks!

-D

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you want shellies I think you'll want a sand substrate. I use pool filter sand. Works great, easy to clean before using, and is relatively cheap. Only down side is that it only comes in one color.

As to who you should put in your tank, I'll defer to those with more experience, but I will tell you that I have 55 with shellies (melegrise), calvus and Cyps that works well for me.

Good luck.

·
Registered
656 Posts
when you say "dwarf calvus" I think you mean dwarf compressiceps , but I think in a 40 you can get away with a couple calvus or comps.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You're right, I did mean dwarf compriceps :oops:

·
Registered
65 Posts
YMMV, but you might find your cyps not well-suited to a tank that small. At least, mine weren't. I recommend 4' tanks (preferably 75g, not the much-narrower 55) for cyps.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Is this a 4 foot long tank? I would be very careful of putting cyps in one that is not. They need room to cruise. They may do well for a while as juvies but you will never get their real behaviour and there is pretty good shot they will just "waste away" An expensive fish to make a mistake with.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's 3 ft by 1.5 ft.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Definitely too small IMO. It's not that they're aggressive in the normal sense of the term, but they're boisterous and active, and just need more swimming space than that. You'll be OK with fry/juveniles, but once they mature, I suspect you'll see that it's just not enough tank for them.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Wei,
I might start them in the 40 gal and then upgrade into a 55.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts