Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I know you all get a lot of stocking requests, sorry if I'm being redundant. But I could use some advice please, if anyone doesn't mind...

ok, I have a 155g bowfront, and have tried building a mixed hap tank with males and females for the last 2 years. I started with juvenile unsexed

Sciaenochromis fryeri, (electric blue ahli)
Dimidiochromis compressiceps,
venustus,
red fin borleyi,
Protomelas Spilonotus Tanzania,
and aristochromis christyi.
and 2 giant plecos, and some decorus catfish.

Slowly the males bullied each other to death, I know I was neglectful, but didn't know really what to do, hoping it would settle eventually but it didn't. Now I have Just 3 male ahlis, and 7 random females. No female ahlis (and i still have the plecos and catfish, they are unbothered.) I know some of my errors. I'm stocking with unsexed juveniles, with no spare tank running. And I am ending up with bad female to male ratios.

I would like to try to restock but am unsure how to approach. First off , I realize I have to buy sexed fish. I could go all male, but then I would have to get rid of the females, ok. But if I did, would my male ahlis adapt to an all male tank? they are 4-5" long. If so, would they possibly accept smaller males (like 2-3") into the tank? also, I have no idea what sex the plecos and catfish are. Does that matter?

On the other side of the coin, if I tried to restock with males and females I'm guessing these particular male ahlis would have to go. right? I am really open to restocking options. i just like a variety if possible. i was never into the all male tank concept, it doesn't seem like it would be a natural community. But at this point I just want to avoid killing each other, especially if I'm investing more money in adult fish.

Thanks for listening. sorry if it was too long winded.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh, and one more thing. if I did go "all male" could I possibly add a peacock or two?

·
Registered
210 Posts
With haps I would not have more than one species if you want female or to mix with other types of haps, or peacocks or mbuna. So either go all male, go single species, or forget haps.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
What are the dimensions of the 155G? Provide the dimensions on the sides, not in the middle. Is it 72" long or more?

Agree if you are going mixed gender you need to choose carefully so that the female haps look nothing alike.

Example is borleyi (solid dark gray juveniles/females) and venustus (giraffe pattern).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My tank is 73" long. And 16" wide at the sides (inside.) And 24" tall. Yes, at first I did aim for species with different looking females. As u said: venustus, borleyi, aristo chrysti (sorry for the bad spelling) and eye biters. But I bought the ahlis on impulse. And they turned out to be all male. And they dominated the tank.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For my living females I have: 3 dimidiochromis comps, one red fin borleyi, 2 venustus, and 2 spilotnus Tanzania. They are pretty different.

If I chose to get rid of the ahlis, could I try to rebuild with these females? Would they accept new and possibly younger tankmates if I carefully add the right ratios of male to female? They are all pretty docile. The female venustus chase each other but it seems innocent. The venustus are about 4". The rest of the females are smaller (2.5-3.5".)

I must say I really like the female red fin borleyi.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
Those are large fish to have so many species in a 73" tank. What about choosing 3?

What will you do with extra males this time? Yes you can add tank mates as long as you add groups of fish. They can be smaller, yes.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow. Well, I messed up big time. All my ciclhids died. I did a large water change with vacuuming, and cleaned the canister filter. The next day all the ciclhids we're dead. Tested the water. Nitrates and nitrites we're through the roof. I was able to save the catfish and plecos into a temporary tank. I completely emptied the big one. Sorry for wasting ur time. Thanks for the advice.

·
Super Moderator
40,494 Posts
So sorry for your loss. Did you know the test results before the vacuuming? Could you have stirred up some toxins?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, I'm thinking I stirred it up. I guess the growing fish was to much for my filtration. It was about 4 weeks since my last test.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts