Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, first post here so please be nice...:) Im coming back to the aquarium game after my house fire in 2010 destroyed over 25,000 worth of tanks and saltwater stock. I swore id never do it again, but my wife encouraged me to restart and i purchased a 125 and decided to go fresh this time and concentrate on cichlids. (note- i've spent the last 2 weeks reading this forum end to end and i'm still a bit confused) . The tank is full of rock work, as most posts in the forum suggest, so i think im good there. I'm running a fx-4 and a nu-clear canister (little giant pump -700 gal a hour) with a 100 micron filter and a duel nu-clear bio canister with potscubbers and bio rings. For water changes i piped the tank filter to a waiste line in the basement, so all i have to do is close one ball valve and open the waiste line and it'll just dump any amount of water i need . So basically i think the tank is ok, but i do understand that apparently these fish are always a work in progress. So heres the question- what to put in it...i really like Pseudotropheus Saulosi Cichlid and msobo, but i think ill go with the saulosi. I also want to put in a group of afra ...will that work, and what kind will give me a chance for success. The last species i'd like to put in is elongatus usisya...am i inviting a bloodbath or could these three species live in heavily rocked 125 ( 6 of each fish-total 18) in a mostly bloodless existence? Hey, thanks in advance for any help i receive...btw- im new to cichlids but have a ton of experience with saltwater aquariums (i understand they are way different) and was running them since the mid 80's until the fire--i had a fish room in my basement that was second to none until that Jan day that destoyed it all....thanks in advance

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi- welcome back to the hobby. I started with mbunas about 7 years ago. I have moved away from them over the past year and a half and have focused on haps and peacocks. I set up a 210g all male hap/peacock tank that includes clown loaches and multipunctatus catfish and the tank looks great. I would recommend that over mbunas. Less headaches...

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Mbuna are easy enough, but better to choose species that don't look alike...I find one species of blue barred fish per tank allows the fish to shine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts