Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a breeding harem of Gymnogeophagus balzanii in my 125 (1 male/4 females) along with 6 big swordtails for dithers. I recently lost my male who was absolutely gorgeous. Thinking I have 2 options here:

- Option 1: Source out a new large male (which I have been trying to do with no luck) and continue with breeding harem.
-Option 2: Re-home 4 females & start with new blank slate. Been tossing this around and the wife likes this idea but I'm not sure what I would do.

Could really use some advice and suggestions here. Tank has pool sand substrate, lots of big driftwood pieces, some anubias, java fern and pothos plants with roots in water. If I do go with all new fish would like something a little more interactive community tank. The 125 is looking a little empty.
Plant Wood Organism Grass Vegetation

·
Registered
116 Posts
What a shame, that male was gorgeous. Did you raise the fry from them? I would probably try to get another male, but it depends how you feel and if you would rather try something new...plenty of options!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What a shame, that male was gorgeous. Did you raise the fry from them? I would probably try to get another male, but it depends how you feel and if you would rather try something new...plenty of options!
No did not raise any of the fry. Was letting the females learn how to carry and care for fry. Can't locate a big male at this time unless someone has a source. Every time I look in that tank, I still see that big male lurking behind driftwood watching me.

·
Super Moderator
6,135 Posts
I know that someone has a nice group of Herotilapia multispinosa, Rainbow Cichlids.
Some killer stocking ideas.
And knows how to use 'em.:)
-
I vote for the re-boot: Central American all the way!

Reactions: Aussieman57

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know that someone has a nice group of Herotilapia multispinosa, Rainbow Cichlids.
Some killer stocking ideas.
And knows how to use 'em.:)
-
I vote for the re-boot: Central American all the way!
My rainbows look like 1 male & 5 females. Not a big issue could always source more females. But what to go with them???? A. nanolutea would be compatible but that is a lot of yellow going on. LOL

·
Super Moderator
6,135 Posts
Okay.... to ensure my roll here, I had to check, THE STOCK LIST, (yep - the one we've been PM'ing about).
And whew, you've got some great choices for this tank, that you could build around that group of Rainbows.
Here goes my recommendation,
- 6 individuals, either A sajica, T-Bar Cichlid or A. sp. Honduran Red Point. My money is on the T-Bars. I like their broader/deeper bodied shape better, and the red coloration on the fins is really nice.
and
- 1 individual Oscura heterospila, Montecristo Cichlid. Generally peaceful and unusual 'Gentle Giant' (up past 9 inches in adult sized length)
or
- 1 pair of Hypsophrys nicaraguensis, Nicaraguan or Macaw Cichlid
-
Your Rainbows are a species that is known to gnosh on aquatic plants sometimes. The Montecristo Cichlid is another one (Vieja & Heroine Cichlid types do that sort of thing). So, you might be growing just moss in that tank depending on how herbivorous your little charges ultimately turn out to be. :censored:

Reactions: Aussieman57

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Okay.... to ensure my roll here, I had to check, THE STOCK LIST, (yep - the one we've been PM'ing about).
And whew, you've got some great choices for this tank, that you could build around that group of Rainbows.
Here goes my recommendation,
- 6 individuals, either A sajica, T-Bar Cichlid or A. sp. Honduran Red Point (My money is on the T-Bars. I like their broader/deeper bodied shape better, and the red coloration on the fins is really nice)
and
- 1 individual Oscura heterospila, Montecristo Cichlid. Generally peaceful and unusual 'Gentle Giant' (up past 9 inches in adult sized length)
or
- 1 pair of Hypsophrys nicaraguensis, Nicaraguan or Macaw Cichlid
-
Your Rainbows are a species that is known to gnosh on aquatic plants sometimes. The Montecristo Cichlid is another one (Vieja & Heroine Cichlid types do that sort of thing). So, you might be growing just moss in that tank depending on how herbivorous your little charges ultimately turn out to be. :censored:
So...
6 Herotilapia multispinosa (Rainbow Cichlid)
6 Amatitlnia sajica
1 Oscura heterospila (Montechristo cichlid) OR 1 pair Macaw Cichlids.
Very interesting. I wonder if there is enough space in a 125 for potential territorial aggression?

·
Super Moderator
6,135 Posts
The Nicaraguans will bring in a lot of yellow, with a little bit of blue and those black stripes. So yes, a longer, more slender, yellowy kind of Cichlid with similar colors to your Rainbows.
(Jeeeze... it's like shopping for drapes here or something, man).
So... to ramp things back down a notch in stocking, I'm with @Mazan on choosing those A. sajica. That is, instead of a pair of the Nicaraguans you could go with a pair of the T-Bars. (And, depending on the size.... it could be very possible with a phone call to have a M-F pair of those A. sajica sent to you, with a shipment).
And definitely, (since the Cribroheros robertsoni is out) get that single Montecristo for this community tank. Can't have @Sinister-Kisses hogging all the glory in the Montecristo Cichlid Club, yo'. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
(And, depending on the size.... it could be very possible with a phone call to have a M-F pair of those A. sajica sent to you, with a shipment).
And definitely, (since the Cribroheros robertsoni is out) get that single Montecristo for this community tank. Can't have @Sinister-Kisses hogging all the glory in the Montecristo Cichlid Club, yo'. :rolleyes:
Want to PM me with that info.:cool:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts