Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My ten gallon stinks... it has been used as a qt tank and currently only has 1 medium sized cichlid in it.

Not until today have i noticed it, but it smells pretty bad. What could be causing this? I have a small HOB filter loaded with a single large pot scrubber along with a sponge filter powered by airstone. Its a bare bottom tank as well. The tank has been up about 3-4 months and I do weekly water changes on it (about 40%)

After I noticed this I did a ~60% water change and it still smells funky. Earlier today I put some activated carbon in the HOB as well and no luck.

What should I do to resolve this?

·
Super Moderator
40,519 Posts
What kind of smell? Dead fish? Mold?

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
DJRansome said:
What kind of smell? Dead fish? Mold?
More like dead fish... I've done a couple 60% water changes within the last 2 days and its gotten considerably better.

·
Super Moderator
40,519 Posts
Something is rotting somewhere, even if it is only debris. Clean the filter, vacuum the gravel. This is the time when I would remove rocks/decor to clean underneath. Fish DO know how to hide the bodies, LOL.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Once found a body under a rock UNDER the grid. Ammonia spikes and I had done numerous water changes. had to strip it down to find it, and it took care of the problem.

·
Registered
256 Posts
The last time it happened to me, it was a juvie that leapt out of the growout tank and wedged into a crevice between the 2 x 4's of the frame...took awhile to track down! :eek:

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Carbon is used to remove medications as well as odors.

I add some whenever a tank spells particularly strong.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts