Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My desk tank at work is just a sand base with maybe 24 shells of various sizes and 4 multifasciatus that I bought when they were juveniles. Well, that was at least 6 months ago, and since then I think its turned out that I have 3 males and 1 female. Up until now they have just randomly hanged out, moved sand around, etc. Recently, things have changed.

The female is keeping close to a few shells in one corner of the tank, and one male is keeping the other males a good distance away. It would appear that they must have spawned, but I have never seen the behavior before and I have never seen any fry. Its been this way for about 5 days. If the deed has been done, when would I see fry?

·
Registered
656 Posts
I don't have multies, but I have brevis and it is exactly 14 days from when she lays the eggs until I see free swimming fry. The multies might develop slightly faster.

·
Registered
482 Posts
mine seem to be spawning on regular basis now but i cant even tell which are spawning they seem to lay there eggs and leave it up to them always out swimming seem to have to batchs some large some looks like first borns and its been about 2weeks since first noticed them so would also say 10-14 day range

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
:D Just saw 1 tiny fry for a moment before it went back into the shell! Now i just need to figure out a good way to deliver food down there for them.

·
Registered
73 Posts
jprime84 said:
:D Just saw 1 tiny fry for a moment before it went back into the shell! Now i just need to figure out a good way to deliver food down there for them.
if the parents are there the fry should have no problem getting food, mine used to crush up pellets at the opening of the shell. if you removed the shell then you can put some hikari first bites in a cup with tank water and use a turkey baster to squirt it into the opening of the shell. either way they will grow and prosper as long as there are no predators there.

edit: if you just saw a fry, then they have probably been free swimming for a few days now.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They are in a species tank with the parents. I have been trying to drop the food nearby the shells. very exciting. How large is a typical brood of multis?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Depending on size mine went from 2 - 14ish each spawn? I also had about 8 females & 2 males. At their peak there were anywhere from my first batch spawning to pinhead size fry all in 1 pile of shells. You know you got a male & female.. Just sit back & watch as they produce more & more. Before you know it you will be over run

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually have 3 males and 1 female. They were smaller and unsexed when I got them. The other two dudes have been confined to living behind the heater and behind the filter by Dad, despite a tank full of other shells.

Protective parents I guess.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I have 2m 3f but all the fry seem to hover around one female and she is aggressive towards other females and its been about a month since they started would have to say have about 40 in there,all different sizes. And I don't try to feed them they seem to find it on there own. No idea what to do with all them didn't think this many would make it with calvus in there haha

1 - 11 of 11 Posts