Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found a source of multifasciatus and he also has some Altolamprologus compressiceps for sale. So the big question is: can they live together (most of the fry will be eaten for sure, but will the adult multis survive)?

He also has J. dickfeldi and J. marlieri in case Julies are the choice after all. Or a few Altos and a few Julies? Decoration will be sand + shells in one end and maybe 2/3 of tank length for rock formations.

Tank size 100 x 50 x 60 (300 l) / 40" x 20" x 24" (79 US Gallons).

·
Administrator
41,517 Posts
Since your tank is only 40" long I would choose one rock dweller with the shellies. The adult shellies will survive. If you go with the julidochromis, I would go with the marlieri.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would not put Multi's in with Alto's. I've had an Alto eat a fairly large Paracyp. Much larger than any Multi gets. Alto's are piscivores, they are natually inclinded to eat anything that can fit in their over sized mouths.

If they are small Alto's (similar in size to the multis) you could get away keeping them in there a while, but they'll grow large enough and eventually start eyeballing those multis

·
Administrator
41,517 Posts
Huh...I've kept calvus for years and usually they are in the 4" to 6" range. Never had them eat a fish other than newborn fry.

FarmerDan, did you keep comps?

·
Registered
26 Posts
DJRansome,

I've kept many Calvus and Comps; both WC and tank raised. I've raised many fry from my own pairs also. Been keeping them for over ten years now.

If you have only had them eat fry you're lucky. They'll try and eat things they can't even swallow and just kill it in the process. If I put one of my 4" Calvus or Compressiceps in with my neolamprologus Multifasciatus I have no doubt that it would end badly for the multis.

I always tell people that fish are different even in and among the same species and variant. While you have had experience with Calvus that have not eaten anything other than fry there are many people that will tell you about their different experience. I believe you could put those fish together and not have problems, but I think it's more than likely that you would have problems.

·
Administrator
41,517 Posts
Thanks FarmerDan. Weird how we both have 10 years with these fish and lots of different individuals, but you have 100% one experience and mine is 100% opposite. All good info.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

OK now we have a dilemma... Shellies or not? Threw in the tank 50 kg stone and 25 kg sand, one thing lead to another and all of a sudden I noticed no proper room for shells! I placed them to right (where that big lone rock is now in pic) but between them and the rockwork there just wasn't enough no-man's-land. So guess is easiest to re-think the stock in this one and build a way smaller tank for multies only... Biggest issue with this tank is the height (60 cm / 24") so lots of empty space to fill if mostly multies...

Maybe a few tree branches and anubias etc. and a Central American biotope...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
FarmerDan said:
A multi's only tank can be really entertaining if you get a good colony going
Sure would be; mostly thinking about the height of the tank: most of the life and drama would happen in lowest 1/3 of tank and 2/3 would be empty... ;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.