Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had two female dems holding as of last wednesday, and as of today I have two more dems holding. without being able to clearly distinguish which females are which, what should I do in this situation? could I strip all four at about 16 days for the second couple (22 days for the first couple) and treat them all as the same group? Im guessing I will be able to tell which females were from the second couple after I strip, but will they be too premature at 16 days?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have found myself with this issue many times, if you wait too long, there's a good chance the (22 days) females will spit in the tank or get very weak from not eating. What I do is I check all holding females for eggs on the date of the "first stripping" and you should get two with more developed fry and the other two with less developed, strip, put back the other ones and repeat in a week. It is very important to be extremely gentle to not stress these females out, I find it hardest to be gentle when trying to get em out of the tank, chasing around with the net. Patience is the key.

Also I have stripped females at 14-16 days, the fry will be mostly egg, but if they wiggle and you have good aeration in your fry tank you should be fine.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
you should get two with more developed fry and the other two with less developed, strip, put back the other ones and repeat in a week
So the mothers will most likely take back the fry if I strip into a bowl and drop her in the bowl after I find out its one of the later females?

if you wait too long, there's a good chance the (22 days) females will spit in the tank or get very weak from not eating.
There's a lot of disagreement on this. How long after you first notice the female holding do you strip?

·
Registered
106 Posts
I try to strip on the 16th-18th day, my dems wont hold more than 20 days. And as for the first question what I do is I hold the female upright(head up) and open her mouth very little, and see if there's fry or eggs, some fish will spit them out if you open to much. If all you see is yellow then you have eggs, if you some dark color it s probably the fry. It took a couple of mistakes from my part to get it right, but the most important thing is being gentle with the female, I dont want to sound harsh, but you'd rather loose the fry than the female, she'll breed again

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
I do 18 days. And if I really wanted to keep all the fry (usually I wouldn't, LOL) I would let them spit naturally. You can always get a tumbler or build a DIY one if you want to strip them all.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And if I really wanted to keep all the fry (usually I wouldn't, LOL) I would let them spit naturally.
How does stripping affect how many fry you keep? I figured this would be the sure way to get the fry in their own tank before the female spits in the main tank. So you suggest putting the female in a maternity tank DJ?

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
Bingo. Since I don't mix the fry of different ages until everyone is pretty much 1/2" I would need a fry tank for each mom. I have one. So I would raise only one batch of fry.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I would raise only one batch of fry.
Setting up another tank wouldn't be a problem, but is 6 days really enough time to make a difference in size? Still don't understand the part I quoted above.[/code]

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
I would choose one mother, put her in my maternity tank and let her spit. Raise that one batch of fry and let the others be spit in the show tank.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't want to keep badgering the same topic but any particular reason why? I just finished reading a 8 page thread on here about a member who managed to successfully raise several batches of different aged dem fry over a series of months with some breeder boxes and a 29 gal tank.

These females are around 2" so I'm expecting < 10 fry from each, just wanting to make my efforts worth-while.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have been able to mix different sizes of fry, if the size difference is too big the smaller fry will not eat nearly as much and will grow slower. I have yet to see a bigger fry picking on a smaller one, but then again I have never mixed 1/2 fry with new fry. I dont think 6 days apart is too much. It might have to be your judgement call. Learn from experience

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
bmweiler09 said:
I don't want to keep badgering the same topic but any particular reason why?
We have different goals. You want to raise 40 fry. I don't need/want 40 new demasoni is all. Raising fry is a money loser. Fun but I've had the experience.

I don't like the breeder boxes after 7 days...not enough circulation to suit me. Not saying it can't be done, but not my preference. They are a pain during water changes and lights and covers have to come off to move them, a pain to clean, etc.

If I really wanted to do 4 clutches with 2 mothers holding as of one date and 2 mothers holding as of another date, I would strip the first 2 on day 18 for them into the fry tank loose. Then when day 18 came for the second set of mothers I'd strip them into breeder nets in the fry tank.

Moms would be stripped and returned immediately to the main tank.

This is the part I don't like. I'd raise the 2nd two clutches in the breeder boxes until they were big enough, in my judgment to be mixed with the older clutches. Probably around a month.

Even if you put 10 fry in each breeder net...it bothers me to raise 10 fish in a 6" space. :oops:

And then once all clutches are mixed, 40 demasoni in a 10G tank until they are 1.5"? Seems like too many.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I've done pretty much exactly as DJ outlined above...and it's definitely not ideal. I don't recall exactly how many I did that way; I don't think I lost any, but I'm sure it slowed the growth down and probably wasn't healthy. Perhaps what kept me from seeing deaths was the fact that I have a regualar HOB filter on that tank and could orient the breeder box in such a way that the flow of incoming water flowed thru the box. In any case, if you're serious about saving every fry, then it's really a simple deduction to set up at least one extra fry tank with a sponge filter.
Also, I have been known to mix up my female dems and accidentally start to strip one with eggs or too-young fry, and they have always picked up their own when left in the bowl for a couple minutes.

·
Registered
249 Posts
One question I have about the concern for water circulation after 7 days. If you are doing 50% water changes every other day as recommended, the water should be circulating then. I have found that usually fry that are 3 to 4 weeks old can be put in with juvies that are 6 to 8 weeks old. Once, I did have to recapture a clutch that I released from the breeder net too soon. I just waited another week, released them and they were fine.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And then once all clutches are mixed, 40 demasoni in a 10G tank until they are 1.5"? Seems like too many.
lol noooo sir. I think you misunderstood my intentions in one of the above posts. My question wasn't "can I raise 4 broods of dems to main tank size in a 10 gal tank" it was "what is the best way to go about stripping 4 indistinguishable females holding for different lengths of time". If everything works out I will have at least a 20 gal long set up and ready within a week after they are stripped.

I don't like the breeder boxes after 7 days...not enough circulation to suit me.
The breeder box was intended for the first week, I have read this makes it easier for the fry to get to the food. And, as mentioned above, I have a divider so I plan on dividing the two sets if they are too far apart in size after about a week.

So it's:

1. Attempt to strip the first 2 holding females at 18 days, putting both clutches in the breeder box in the 10 gal tank. Mothers are immediately returned to the main tank.

2. 6 days later, (18 days for the second 2 females) move the first clutches to the open part of the 10 gal, strip the other females into the breeder box. Also back in the main tank.

3. In about a week if the 2 sets of fry are too far apart in size, I will divide the 10 gal for the two groups.

4. In X weeks I will move both groups to the larger tank I will have set up, starting with the first group. What is a good size to move?

·
Super Moderator
40,517 Posts
1.5" is a safe size to add juveniles to the adult tank.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
1.5" is a safe size to add juveniles to the adult tank.
Ok sounds good, I will probably put about 8 in the main tank and sell the rest. At what size should I move them to a grow out tank?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts