Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I've started to keep a couple of shell dwellers again last year in a 70 liter aquarium to begin with. After that went really well i set up a 120L for them since there was a lot of offspring. Sadly for a still unknown reason all the fish slowly died off. After consulting with the LFS we concluded it was probably a nitrite spike i missed.

After waiting a few weeks letting the tank settle and checking the water parameters i've restocked it with 5 multi's again. However they seem a bit inactive and do this weird 'shimmying'. Could this be a parasite or sickness? Or am i now overreacting? Linked a video below, talking about the fish in the back. He's not the only one with this behaviour.
Since the water parameters seems fine i don't think this can cause any issues.

Water parameters:
NO3 < 25ng/l
NO2 <0,5 mg/l
GH > 7 d
KH > 10 d
PH > 7,5

Water Vertebrate Fish supply Pet supply Organism

·
Registered
37 Posts
If water is testing normal it could be a number of things, but also nothing. How is the flow in the tank? If it is high flow perhaps they are compensating to remain stationary. Have you seen breeding activity? That fish in the back could be fanning contents in the shells below.

At the end of the day if the fish are eating, your water, and temperature are at appropriate levels just keep observing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They've been in there for a week, so not expecting any breeding yet. The behaviour is just very different from what i would expect from these guys. No digging and so on, they just don't really look like they're doing all that well. However, they are eating really well. Now doing a general fish disease treatment. Hoping that will change things. If anyone has any experience with these guys behaving like this please let me know!

·
Super Moderator
40,891 Posts
Could they be fighting the current? What is your GPH?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I turn off the filter it does not seem to change them all that much. Linked a video of the previous aquarium, notice the lack of wiggling of the fish.
Pump is pumping around 115 GPH.
Usually multi's begin digging pretty soon after entering an aquarium, so since they won't do that it combined with the wiggling leaves me pretty concerned.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts