Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had some problems with my 100g tang. tank. The 15 cyps I had in it wasted away and died. :/ I let the tank be for over a month and a half now to make sure the disease was gone (only cyps died from it, but it did affect the other fish as well) but I think the danger is over and I want to add something more to the tank. My current set up is;

3 marileri's julie
a small colony of multies (only one adult male for now, we had two but he other one died today)
3 bristlenose ancistrus

...and that's it. It looks very empty. :/ The water parameters are:

Tank measurments: 150cm in lenght, 50cm wide, 50cm high (I think it amounts to 59 inches long and 20 inches high 20 inches wide?)

pH: 7,5
dKH: 10
temp: 26 celcius/78,8 farenheit

I change about 30% a week, treating the water with aquatan and bicarbonate. I feed once a day, shrimp+pea mix

So naturally I want to add something, but I want tough fish that aren't too hard to keep. I'm thinking of the neolamprologus brichardi or the pulcher, but can't decide on which. Anyone here on the forum that can tell me the pros and cons with the different kinds?

I also wonder about which age/size multie fry get their stripes? I have a few that's a bit bigger than 1cm and have just been kicked out from their home. I know I'll find out sooner or later but I'm curious!

...and one last question: is it possible to keep golden occelatus together with multies? Like a shellbed at the opposite side? I saw some in the store a few days ago and I'd really like some.

Thanks for reading!

:fish:

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
janthinajanthina said:
So naturally I want to add something, but I want tough fish that aren't too hard to keep. I'm thinking of the neolamprologus brichardi or the pulcher, but can't decide on which. Anyone here on the forum that can tell me the pros and cons with the different kinds?
Neither fish is particularly good as a community fish. They tend to protect extended families and are well known to eliminate the balance of the fish in a tank.

I also wonder about which age/size multie fry get their stripes? I have a few that's a bit bigger than 1cm and have just been kicked out from their home. I know I'll find out sooner or later but I'm curious!
No stripes at a cm? They should have them very soon.

...and one last question: is it possible to keep golden occelatus together with multies? Like a shellbed at the opposite side? I saw some in the store a few days ago and I'd really like some.

Thanks for reading!

:fish:
It has been done before, but it can be very difficult to maintain. More often it hasn't worked out, than it has worked out. They would have to be at opposite ends, but even then, it might not always work.

When adding in a second shell dweller, I've found that L. brevis is the best option. If I were to add them, I wouldn't put their shell on the substrate, rather on a shelf much higher in the tank.

My recommendations would be something like an Altolamprologus calvus or compressiceps as well. Thoughts?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the reply!

I've been a bit worried for them since they grew up during the medication phase (antibiotics and anti-parasite medications) so I hope they are "healthy". In every other aspect they seem to be, but I sure hope they get their stripes soon!

I've always wanted N. brichardi, but I much rather keep the tank "peaceful". The julies and the multies are rather aggressive against each other, but they both handle it very well. Do you have any suggestions? I really want something that takes up a bit more of the open space, but I don't think I dare try cyps again or something like tropheus since I know they can rather easily get sick. :/

Not trying occelatus then, they were just so pretty that they awoke the "WANT!" part. : P But in the end, I don't think getting cichlids just cause they're pretty will turn out well.

I've been eyeing a compressiceps at my LFS, I just want the multie fry to get a bit bigger first (I don't think it'd manage to eat them when they're this big, but I'd rather not take chances since the tank's been going trough a bit of a rocky fase). I was actually thinking of picking it up when the fry got their stripes. I'd like a pair but they take pretty long to sex?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Apparantly can't edit the OP, so I'll put this here:

In short, I'm asking what species can I keep with julies and multies (there's ought to be something!) that could be a good "centerpiece" in the tank? Thanks!

Old photo, but it looks about the same now. : ) I'd like something that could take up that wide open space. The julies keep in the background (and sometimes in the rockwork of course) and the shellies keep to the far left.

·
Registered
73 Posts
in about 6 months, the multi fry will have taken over the bottom of the tank, so start collecting shells now :D you can always try another group of cyps and maybe stay away from the peas? either feed BBS or a quality flake or pellet. cyp wasting is a common problem and many theories abound about how it starts. add what you want first then add the cyps a few months later. also, try to raise your ph a little and keep it stable.. your fish will love you for it

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm never trying cyps again, I just don't have the heart or money for it. : / They wasted away over a period of six - seven months and just when I thought they were healed it'd start back up again. Too expensive and too heartbreaking. I know it's a risk with keeping fish, cichlids especially but I don't think I could do it again because if one day I'd glance over and see a slight hunch of the back of a cyp it'd be the final nail in the coffin for the hobby. :c I loved the cyps but they were a bit too fragile for me? Maybe when I've kept cichlids longer.

Oh, so maybe I should add a bit more bikarbonate at waterchange? Think that'd work to raise the pH? I still feel like a newbie when it comes to the water chemistry. : P

Oh I know, with the shells! My mother keeps complaining the "escargot" snail is taking over her garden, but she still wont collect them for me. :c I need to find some cheaper place to get them, they're 1$ each here

thanks for the reply! : )

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
The tank is attractively setup, but it really isn't something that is practical for most rock dwelling substrate spawners.

Based upon the setup, I would end up recommending Xeno's or Featherfins, but they are not any easier to keep than Cyps. I would probably also go with a high quality pellet or flake, that provides the vitamins and nutrition that might be missing in the shrimp/pea mix.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The tank isn't really big enough for featherfins, and I don't think there's enough "open" sand-space for xenos. :/ I could always add more flowerpots or so, I'm thinking maybe caudopunctatus?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
From what I can see, a 5ft long tank should be fine for something like a ventralis. Some of Xeno's such as flavipinnis and spilopterus are more intermediate fish than pure sand, so they'd be fine.

Your tank looks nice... adding flowerpots... ummmm :oops:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh, I'll have to look into it then! : )

And don't worry ; ) I paint the pots with black aquarium silicone, sprinkle some sand on them and hide them behind a piece of vallisineria. : ) No one would be able to tell it's there, except for the cichlids!

And thank you! :D

1 - 10 of 10 Posts