Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I have a 30 gallon multifasciatus shell dweller tank and I have endler livebearers in a mesh breeding tank because their small and I’m wondering if I can release them with the Shellie’s finally or will they get eaten?

·
Registered
676 Posts
Never tried this but they do well in hard water and can tolerate higher pH. They tend to like the middle and top layers of the tank but will venture to the bottom to burrow and look for food. They also appreciate plants in the tank. The big issue is their inability to protect themselves from aggression. I'm thinking the shell dwellers will pummel the Endlers so I would not combine them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! The multies are known to not be as aggressive and so far have not gone up to the the mesh breeding thing with the endlers. Also, I have some jungle Val which has been uprooted a couple times but is still doing quite well with the Shellie’s. I’m just deciding whether to release the endlers now or wait until their bigger

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, I’ve had the Shellie’s for like a month and i already have some fry! Do you think the Shellie’s will become too aggressive because of their mating?(I have one shell dweller that came pregnant and two others that are mating now the other two(five total) are minding their own business)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Never tried this but they do well in hard water and can tolerate higher pH. They tend to like the middle and top layers of the tank but will venture to the bottom to burrow and look for food. They also appreciate plants in the tank. The big issue is their inability to protect themselves from aggression. I'm thinking the shell dwellers will pummel the Endlers so I would not combine them.
The breeder tank is in the same tank just at the top

·
Registered
59 Posts
I’ve got Celebes Rainbows in with my Multics. I like the combo. if the Celebes get to far down in the water column, it is guaranteed that a Multi will chase it back up. The Rainbows are bigger than the Multies and way faster, so they really never really get bothered. A slower smaller fish may get nipped repeatedly though.

Having the Rainbows in the tank sure has made a difference with the Multies though. They seem way more comfortable in space now.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just searched up that fish you have and they look super cool! Released my endlers around 10 mins ago and their already adjusting by leaving the Shellie’s alone. I have the swordtail endlers and the colors really pop in the not as colorful tank. The multies aren’t fighting the endlers just moving close to them and then the endlers leave but so far no fighting.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Just searched up that fish you have and they look super cool! Released my endlers around 10 mins ago and their already adjusting by leaving the Shellie’s alone. I have the swordtail endlers and the colors really pop in the not as colorful tank. The multies aren’t fighting the endlers just moving close to them and then the endlers leave but so far no fighting.
Keep us posted on how the Endlers are doing. Sounds like an interesting mix you have.

I would have preferred to mix Cyprichromis in the tank, but thought the Cyps would have been to crowded in my 40 breeder. I do think the Multi’s benefit from having a dither fish, so that is why I tried the Rainbows and they seem to be working out great together. I also keep mystery snails in the tank and my Multi’s ignore them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The endlers are too fast for them and at the beginning two days the Shellie’s swam up to them and then swam back down and that scared the endlers but now each species mind there own business. Also, no news with the fry I see a lot of them near the lonely female(I don’t remember if I told you the male died a while ago) and 2 fry near the pair. The endlers almost always swim in a group and are very active and exciting to watch.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts