Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! Before I get to it I just want to say how much I enjoy this forum! I have been lurking for months and months and finally decided to join and post today. :)

I am hoping to get some info on keeping multifasciatus colonys with inverts like shrimp. I know Multis are supposed to be the smallest cichlid but are they too small to eat shrimps?

The setup is a 75 gallon heavily planted tank, mostly anubias and valls. Few rocks and a buttload of shells. Inhabitants are a breeding pair of Multis, their babies, and a school of 25 iriatherina werneri.

I have never kept shrimp before and I think it would be so awesome to stock my tank with some crystal reds or bumble bees. Do you guys think the multis will gobble them all up?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
4,129 Posts
Shellies supposedly eat snails, and from my experience it's true since in my tanks I always find little empty snail shells next to the much bigger shells they live in. From that I'd be guessing that they go for other inverts too - given the opportunity. I think all cichlids are opportunistic feeders in addition to whatever specialization for certain food they might have. If something fits in the mouth, that's where it will go. If the multies will catch all shrimp will depend on the tank size and decoration, that is how much opportunity there will be for the shrimp to escape and hide - especially in the stage when they shed their exoskeleton.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts