Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would be a good price on a group of around 20 of the shell dwellers called "multis" and enough shells for them, like around 25 Id say?

Was quoted a price of $30 for all of this and was wondering if this a decent deal or no?

Thinking about setting up some shellies in my 20g long but am in no hurry. (Kinda neat looking little fish though with all the tiny little vertical lines on them.)

After looking at some photos I believe the real name for them is "Neolamprologus multifasciatus"

·
Registered
482 Posts
would say good deal i spent 20$ on 36shells+shipping and 10$ on 5 multis but with 20already your colony would get huge quick haha

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do they breed that much? Never had them before, actually was the first time I seen them first hand.

Still gotta talk the old lady into letting me setting it up somewhere tho first.
Wish I had a basement so bad!

·
Registered
4,581 Posts
Are these mostly adult fish? Then they need more shells. :thumb: But, with the price tag for the colony, you can afford to buy some more shells.

·
Registered
482 Posts
breed like rabbits from what everyone says guy got mine from had 200+ ready/almost ready for sale so if you could talk some ppl into taking some off your hand to make some money back or just blanket the tank in shells what i would do with a 29g or 20long

·
Registered
147 Posts
I spent a great deal shopping for mine. I had problems finding them in stores around Chicago. The one store I did find them in was selling them for $24.99 each, and these were juvies. I finally got a hold of a seller who sold me 7 for $4.00 each, and he put an extra in the bag. These were juvies.

I would say normal retail these fish go for $8.00-$12.00 in store. The $24.99 just baffled me. I actually laughed when he told me... That probably wasn't very nice of me...

I really enjoy these fish. They have a lot of spunk and it's great to see adults taking care of the little ones.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Frazee86 said:
Store near me wants 30 piece lol would of been 200 just to get six get a tank sneak it in setup lol :lol:
Ohh, believe me. I have the tank and stuff already, and have been trying. Even tried telling her the "kids" would really like to have it in there room! Didnt work, cause we are gonna be redoing their room and moving the computer desk in there. Thinking tho once that is all done and I show her that there is room (I will make room) maybe then.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good thing is that it sounds like they arent going anywhere soon. He isnt in a big hurry to sell them at all.

Are these really "touchy" fish to keep or are they fairly hardy?

·
Registered
452 Posts
As fair as Tangs go, they'd be on the hardy side.

However, they do enjoy regular waterchanges, and a clean tank !! :thumb:

·
Registered
482 Posts
Mine are touchy I got drama queen multis not sure why my calvus are less touchy :lol: but they started spawning for me few weeks ago def good defenders

1 - 15 of 15 Posts