Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have 1 m and 3 female in a 55g with red zebras, blue cobalts. Only had them for a month and I already have 26 fry from them :eek: The male is gorgeous and the females aren't bad looking either. Not aggressive at all. They were actually my second choice as I wanted Pseudotrophues Saulosi but couldn't find a breeding group so I went with the Msobo with no regrets

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Yes I have a group and recommend them. They are especially great as a breeding group that doubles as a show tank because both males and females have eye-popping colors. Look for a group with bright orange females. I've been told that males which have been inbred for a few generations (tank raised) tend to lose the contrast in black/blue markings which makes them so distinctive. So if you can get your hands on wild-caught or F1/F2, I'd get that.

I used to have mine in my 125 gallon and moved them to a 55 recently because I got some similar colored Tropheops in the 125. Mine seem ok in the 55, but I've heard of others having trouble with them in a 55 - it may depend on the temperament of your male. I'd shoot for 4 or more females per male.

What else will you be keeping with them in the 55 gallon?

·
Registered
448 Posts
flavus and hongi both have beautiful males.....I think the Hongi females are better looking than the flavus females so I would go with the Hongi over the flavus (if you're looking for a coloful tank), especially in a 55 gal. You could do a group of Msobo, Hongi, and maybe Socolofi or Cobalt. That would be a nice looking tank IMO.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Msobo look great! Males are specacular and the females look great as well.. Had a group of these guys for a while in a 75 with some labs and a elongotus type.. Breed like crazy..

·
Registered
143 Posts
Had a group of mxobo with acei ngara and rusties.They used to breed a lot.

Even the msobo sub dominant males looked nice with yellow and light blue mix.

·
Registered
509 Posts
This thread is making me second guess my choice of small blue over msobo this past week. I guess I just need another tank :wink:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts