Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question. Can msobo's, venustus, lithobates, and sunshine peacocks all be in the same tank and be ok with eachother? I am considering 3 of each (1 male and 2 females of each species), all under 3 inches at this point. The tank is 75 gallons with extensive rockwork, sand substrate, fluval fx5 and eheim 2232 for filtration, koralia for water movement, and a 300w heater.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Venustus and lithobates males both show a yellow blaze on their head and male venustus get very aggressive and territorial. Long term the Venustus male will kill the lithobates male. Male peacocks are notorious for breeding with other species females. short answer: not long term

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
You'll want to go all-male if you want multiple species of peacock/hap. In a 75 (4' long, I'm assuming), your venustus will get too large and won't work in the long-term.

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
I'm thinking a mbuna like msobo would also be a little too aggressive in combination with a peaceful hap like the lithobates.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
The problem really is tank size. What DJ says is correct, at least in a 75 gallon tank. The msobo will be too much for these guys.

Also, I agree that venestus will outgrow the 75 gallon, and if you try to keep them, will likely cause aggression issues.

If you want a suggestion, wait until the lithobates and sunshine are over 4", then get some 1" Ps. saulosi... they don't look too different than the msobo, and by starting small while the Haps are large, you should be ok in the mix.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So.....I should get rid of the venustus before they get too big? And get rid of the msobo all together? Just leave the lithobates and sunshine. If I was to add just haps back in....what type would be good choices.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Like i said before, Your male peacocks will more than likely breed with the lithobates females creating unwanted hybrids. I would not house these two groups together and plan to keep fry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.