Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i recently joined...and recently got myself 1m 2f of mpanga reds...i stripped both females a week ago and the one spit like 15 free swimming and like 5 eggs...the other spit all eggs....which got me thinkin...the tank they came from i came to find out today had a wild caught m/f pair of Synodontis multipunctatus. this must explain it all....my main question is what do i feed the catfish fry? and am i able to have both these catfish and other small fry in the same tank if all the egg sacs on the fry are gone? or will they still eat them???? please help

·
Registered
7,422 Posts
Are some of the fry catfish? or you are assuming that the eggs are catfish?

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
They'll probably eat just about anything. Any of the small pellets designed for fry or crushed flake.

It should be pretty easy to tell apart catfish from mbuna fry. Have a picture?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i do not have any pics....i am not assuming the eggs are catfish fry....am i able to have these together in my grow out tank when the **** egg sacs are gone? or will they be to small and be eaten?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Congrats! That's awesome.

I believe that the cuckoo cats have a shorter gestation/free swimming period than most African cichlids. Generally they will eat all the cichlid fry/eggs before they are spit by the mother cichlid. I wouldn't keep them with any cichlid fry that are the same size as them. Even if they don't get eaten, they will most likely get out-competed by the cats for food.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
Once the fry are fully free swimming, they should be fine together. You can feed the Syno's pretty much anything, flake, pellets...

How are you certain you have catfish, I mean it should be obvious, but it seems a little curious to me.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im 100% they are cats....whiskers n everything on them....and the tank they came from have 2 wild caught cats...male and female obviously. the guy i got them from isnt happy lol...i wouldnt be either seein how hard it is to find a host

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
coonie said:
im 100% they are cats....whiskers n everything on them....and the tank they came from have 2 wild caught cats...male and female obviously. the guy i got them from isnt happy lol...i wouldnt be either seein how hard it is to find a host
Actually, finding a host isn't that hard... any will do. Congrats on the cats.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
so can anyone tell me a definate awnser of if they will eat fry if put in a grow out tank together? obviously id make sure there egg sacs have disappeared.

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
coonie said:
so can anyone tell me a definate awnser of if they will eat fry if put in a grow out tank together? obviously id make sure there egg sacs have disappeared.
Didn't I do that?

Fogelhund said:
Once the fry are fully free swimming, they should be fine together.
Make sure the fry have been free swimming for a week.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks...now all i gotta do is get rid of these fry...cats and mpangas....i have a demasoni holding and a nererei red about to breed.....ugh lol

·
Registered
801 Posts
Well done. If you can please post some pics of your baby synos. :thumb:

·
Registered
90 Posts
the cat will eat the fry. they will grow MUCH quicker. those synos will hit 3/4 of a inch if feed properly in a matter of a month. i feed mine baby brine then ****ch over to brine and flake food i also feed them the eggs of the host fish. your host fish will eventually catch on and you will have to find a new host

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
woogie0004 said:
the cat will eat the fry. they will grow MUCH quicker. those synos will hit 3/4 of a inch if feed properly in a matter of a month. i feed mine baby brine then ****ch over to brine and flake food i also feed them the eggs of the host fish. your host fish will eventually catch on and you will have to find a new host
Sure, they'll eat the fry in the mouth... not so much once they are freeswimming in a grow out tank. I haven't had too much problems with the cichlids catching on, and stopping spawning, unless I've had too many Synos.

·
Registered
90 Posts
*** had them eat the fry out of the mouth while free swiming and my host fish stopped produceing after six months they would still spawn but i would only get unfertilized cichlid eggs. what ratio do you have from host fish to syno and whats your host?

·
Registered
31,206 Posts
I never keep more than six Syno's. It hasn't mattered much what the host is to me, though most recently it has been Sciaenochromis fryeri. I've used Metriaclima estherae and Protomelas taeniolatus in the last year as well...

I've had these guys breeding for 30 years now.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i have no synos.....the fish i got came with a mouthful.....no worries about that any more lol....cool first time tho :p

·
Registered
90 Posts
*** used Sciaenochromis fryeri in the past as well they produced for about six months then i stopped getting any syno fry from them. *** got 11 in a 180 i try useing colonies in the 30 or 40s. do you think i would be better off splitting the cats into 2 seperate groups?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts