Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a batch of fry....looked all over the net for info but cant find any...my question is how long or how big do they have to be before the males change colours so i know which are female and which are male.....same question for the nyererei reds if u know that one too....thanks

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
I assume you are talking about Labeotropheus Trewavasae 'Mpanga Red.' I have my first two batches of fry growing out right now. My older group is about 1 inch and I can tell the males and females apart because the females are OB (orange blotch pattern), while the males exhibit a normal barring pattern at this size. Maybe I can get a picture for you tomorrow if you're interested.

All female Trewavasae from Mpanga Rocks that I have seen (in books, online, and in person) have been OB patterned, but it's possible there exist standard females at that location as well - in which case if you have non-OB females, you wouldn't be able to tell males and females apart until they can be vented.

The males won't begin to put on that orange-red color until they are about 2.5 inches in size.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have a non-ob female,, gets bullied by the other female, typical of Trews, tho. Could be a freak, just letting you know.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.