Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys in two weeks I will me moving. It is a four hour drive and need some ideas on best,way to transport my fish safely and without haveing to spend more money than I have,to. This will me the last move I make. Bought a house in austin. So I dont want to spend a whole lot of money on equiptment that I will only use once. Any ideas.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
5 gallon buckets with new declorinated water. Oxygen tablets or a battery operated air pump. Most bait and tackle shops have them for Minnow buckets. Don't feed you fish for 3-4 days prior to move to reduce the waste in the bucket. Good luck. If it is gonna be super hot I would try a insulated cooler instead.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently moved across canada with my fish. They rode with me on the front seat in a 4 gallon rubbermaid container and a battery operated pump. 10 days on the road and everybody survived. I used their aquarium water in the rubbermaid.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
HappyGilmore said:
I recently moved across canada with my fish. They rode with me on the front seat in a 4 gallon rubbermaid container and a battery operated pump. 10 days on the road and everybody survived. I used their aquarium water in the rubbermaid.
You don't want to use your aquarium water . It has all the organics in it that can not be converted due to your filter not being hooked up. The ammonia will be toxic and stress the fish out. Use new dechlorinated water.

·
Super Moderator
40,481 Posts
What you do is take everything in your hotel room each night and run the filter overnight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah what we did. When we went across canada it was dead winter and close to -40C in a few places. They had some serious shocks but made it hehe.

You don't want to use your aquarium water . It has all the organics in it that can not be converted due to your filter not being hooked up. The ammonia will be toxic and stress the fish out. Use new dechlorinated water.
Great to know for our next move![/code]

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
We used 10g rubbermaid tubs and divided the fish by aggression. I agree, use fresh dechlorinated water, not tank water.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts