Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any advice on making moving a tank easier? About a 40 min drive to new home.

Was planning on getting a bunch of ziploc bags, separate my fish as best I can into their pairs (with their shells for the shellies) and put the bags in a cooler for a move. Was gonna get 3 5 gallon buckets and move that much water and just treat it as a 50% water change (33 gallon tank).

Anything else I should think of doing?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Ziplock bags aren't the best for transporting fish, they tend to open up, and it can be hard to get them fully inflated with air when packing. If you go to your fish store they will give you fish bags for free or a dollar.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, and i just found fry from my Julies..Should i just slide the rock that they're on into the bag with ma and pa?

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
I prefer a 5G bucket, especially if it has a lid and a battery operated air stone.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Buckets are the best i think. having more helps the temp of the water from spiking up or most likely down. And it also nice to have good air circulation when you are traveling more then like 30mins.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Was just worried about them bouncing a round a bunch in a bucket, but will take your advise!

Will I need to float them in bags to acclimatize just in case the water isn't exact temp?

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
The bouncing actually helps...thrashing water is oxygenated and that is the biggest risk. Keep the bucket in the front seat and the car heater on 80 degrees. Yes, you should float them upon arrival if temp has cooled, you can check with a thermometer.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ya, aslong as the bucket has enough water they should bounce off the sides and what not. Also It is always a good idea to make sure that the PH in the new tank is high enough so its not a huge shock. A trick i learned was to use baking soda ( sodium bicarbonate) as a cheap way to raise the PH of your water. I lost a few africans once, i moved them and floated them, but the PH change was so dramatic that they didn't make it (even after a drip). I never took PH levels seriously before that, it was a good learning experience.

Hope this helps

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
Any time you do a water change or transfer fish from one watery environment to another you have to match parameters as closely as possible, especially temperature and pH.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Wally world has bucket lids with air pumps in sporting goods. I've kept fish in them over a day while I resealed a tank. Kept others in a big cooler with an air pump during the same time, that's how I've transported them.

G

·
Wally world has bucket lids with air pumps in sporting goods. I've kept fish in them over a day while I resealed a tank. Kept others in a big cooler with an air pump during the same time, that's how I've transported them.
bucket lids for what... i cant find them online... i think you mean walmart right?

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
There should be snap on lids for 5 gallon buckets in the sporting goods dept at wal-mart or any store that has a fishing section. They have an air pump that takes batteries and an air stone.

G

·
ok makes sense.. do they also have 5 gallon buckets lol? i use a diff system (18 gallon tub with a ridge thats exactly 12 gallons in it and 2 gallon buckets to top it off) but i like to be prepared for any situation so i dont have to then go run to the store if something does pop up... i was thinking about draining my entire 125 and putting a background in thats what id need the buckest for ... seems kind of more of a pain to do that then the benefits of having the background but idk its starting to bug me that i dont have one.. i found 2 companies that make them cuz i dont have the patience or desire to build my own.. they are kinda pricey but idk i want one... you think fish would be ok in those buckets for like 2-4 days... id have to get alot of buckets lol

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
2-4 days I'd be worried about ammonia etc building up, I wouldn't do it. I would hook existing filters to storage bins if i didn't have any extra tanks, though. That would keep the filters alive, as well as the fish.

I normally use the buckets for bait shrimp and the in the cooler I attempt to replace the beer with fresh fish on ice!

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
I put actual filters and heaters on 5G buckets. But with all-male hap peacock you would almost need a bucket for every fish.

I use free plastic cat litter buckets. When moving fish I use the same with a $10 battery air pump and air stone. Just cut a hole for the air line in the lid.

G

·
yea 3 or 4 25 gallon tubs would probly do ok... i have enough hob filters layin around and sponge filters that i could jus toss them in.. probly have to cut part out of the lid for the hob filters....my living room would be a mess thou and my girlfriend might lose her mind lol shes one of those people that when moving furniture or setting things up she freaks out cuz "its so messy" i had to remove her from the house when rearranging my old apartment she was gona have a breakdown lol i guess thats a project ill do once im done with all my growing out and moving fish around im doing now...

·
Registered
623 Posts
Might be easier bagging them. Tie it tight make sure lots of air pressure inside. They would be good for a day. Bag them individually and put them in a styrofoam box. I moved my fish in bog tubs and it was just a pain and way messier.

G

·
nah not moving them... taking out one day to drain the tank wipe it down and silicone a background into the tank... i found one thats styrofoam and concrete like everyone makes and then the one at my lfs it was like pliable.. it almost felt like layered latex or something to the point where it was somewhat rigid.. def not styrofoam thou... and bagging is only good for a short time... id have to have them out for 3 or 4 days.. gota drain the tank dry it off and silicone the background in leave it for 2 days to make sure it cures properly...then fill up again..i woulda done that from gate if ida known about the backgrounds when i first set up that tank

·
Super Moderator
40,523 Posts
The problem may be aggression with multiple males confined in those small tubs. Maybe with a bunch of dividers?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.