Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finished setting up my 110 gallon now I will be stocking it with Mbunas from the 55 gallon which will be
Red top zebra1m/5f ,which for some reason the femles are the aggressive ones not the male?
Kenyi 1m/5f
Ob zebra 1m/3f all fish are 2-3inches

In the 55g I will leave the:
Electric Blue Johnni 1m/3f
Aurutas 1m/5f All these fish are 2-3 inches

Now what else should I put into the 110gallon that you guys think will make it more complete?

What else can I or should I put in the 55gallon or will it already be a hostile environment with those crazy Aurutas in there waiting to become of age?
Please can I get some feed back!

·
Registered
363 Posts
I don't think that groups of two melanochromis will work in a 55... especially the auratus. I have never tried to keep a group of auratus, but do not believe that the 55 would be large enough for them alone.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Options for diversity maybe consider:

Ps. Polit
Ps. Williamsi
Lab. Perlmutt
Iodotropheus sprengerae ''Rusty''
Metriaclima aurora Likoma (or similarly colored Pseudotropheus sp Perspicax)
Metriaclima hajomaylandi

The above list is based on you starting with some barred and yellow female fish already.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok I got you with the different types of fish but my only problem with the names of fish you gave me is that none and I mean none of the LFS have any of this types of fish at all. Have been looking for the past few months and it does get tiring riding from store to store just to see the same types of fish of a very poor selection. Even got mad and looked in a Walmart fish section to see if they may,lol, had a chance of something different

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
oh by the way seen some Rusty's but did not like the batch they had at LFS the whole tank had fish about 3" long but they seemed all scared and stayed hidden behind some rocks in the tanks really weird group of fish never seen that before with the Mbuna ever unless they was wild caught which I do seriously think not :lol:

·
Registered
181 Posts
I had the same problem finding specific species so I reluctantly ordered them online from one of the sponsors here and was very happy with the process and the fish.

·
Registered
509 Posts
I have purchased all my fish online. I spent a lot of time driving around town to stores and was not pleased with the selection available.

With gas for my car at $4.40 here and it getting about 12mpg it is an easy choice for me to choose shipping to my door over driving :D

I typically order when the number of fish I buy plus the cost of shipping works out to about $10 per fish.

·
Super Moderator
40,531 Posts
I'd do the auratus, kenyi and johannii in the 110 stocking 1m:7f of each and hope for the best.

Then I would stock the 55G with two other species to go with the zebra.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.