Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I know this has been asked before, but, I'm nervous and don't wanna lose anyone so I'm gonna run through what I am planning on doing with this move here in a few weeks! I'll be moving just a few miles away, into something a little bigger (with a tile floor in the dining room and a PERFECT spot for the aquarium in the dining room!)

So anyway, here is the plan.

>Aquarium is the last to go, I have plenty of time to get out of this place so it's no biggie at all, so once I have everything else moved (not necessarily unpacked, but you get the idea), I'm gonna tackle the aquarium.

>Going to do a water change (75-80% like I usually do) every other day up until the move, for the last week or so. Trying to get the gravel as clean as possible being the goal.

>I am going to move all of the fry into breeder boxes into the main tank, tear down the 29 gallon fry tank and move it first, keeping the filters wet, and filling it back up at the new place and getting it running and ready to go, with moving just a few minutes I doubt I'll experience any sort of a mini-cycle, water conditions are similar there as here.

>I've decided against the "life support" method since it's a short move (sponge filters in buckets sort of thing), and I transported these fish longer when I got them. Once I've removed all the rocks and gravel from the tank (rocks will be transported dry, but the gravel will be wet and in 5 gallon buckets), I'll scoop the fish up and bag them, and put them in a minnow cooler (in the bags of course). Then me and some help will get the empty tank, 5 gallon buckets of gravel and filter material, and stand into the truck and drive across town. Then, first thing is the fish in bags into the 29 gallon tank (still in the bags, goal here is just to keep them warm)

>Set up tank and stand, double check it's square to the wall and there is proper clearance for the filters, filters on, gravel and rocks in, filled and running. Then dump the fish that belong in the 75 in! (I imagine at this point I'll have already returned the fry to their home as well. In fact, they are in breeder boxes right now, I think I'll keep them there until after the move).

>Breathe and pray

Anything I am missing? Anything I should change? I've always appreciated the advice all of you have given me in the past, from starting this hobby to having the flourishing knock-on-wood-never-lost-one community I have right now, and after a year without a single loss, I don't want to start now! (Kinda starting to like these guys you know!)

Thanks!

John

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
I think you have a good plan. Since you are bagging the fish, make sure too that you don't feed the larger ones for a couple of days.

When I moved across town, I didn't bag, but used 10g rubbermaid tubs with fresh water (not tank water). I grouped fish according to size/type/aggression to try and minimize any issues during transport. For me, using the tubs was less trouble than bagging.

I think as long as you keep the filter media wet you will be fine. Doing the water changes beforehand sounds fine, too, but I wouldn't worry as much about that. You could always clean the gravel once you got it into the buckets. Your beneficial bacteria will primarily be in the filters, anyway.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.