Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

New member here. I am about to move to a new apartment and will be upgrading my 50G tank to a 90G tank. I have a couple questions:

1. What is the easiest way to establish this new tank? Can I fill the new tank with my existing tank water from water changes to expedite tank establishment? Can I store the tank water in buckets (or even the new tank) for a couple days without running the filter?

2. I am planning on using pool filter sand as my substrate, should I mix a good amount of my gravel in the existing tank to expedite colonization?

3. The tank came with a used Eheim 2026, will this filter be sufficient for a 90G with a minimum of 8 cichlids?

Any help would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
656 Posts
The water from your current tank is mostly useless for establishing a new tank. The best thing to do is keep your current filter running until you switch it over to the new tank, put the gravel in some mesh bags or pantyhose, and put that in the tank near the new filter intake, output, or a powerhead. Basically somewhere with plenty of flow.

Even if you don't plan on keeping the old filter permanently, run it on the new tank for a few weeks until everything is established.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Definitely will not tear down the current tank until the new one is established. Waiting on replacement parts for the eheim and then I can start the project. So the plan is to bring a couple handfuls of gravel from my current tank, place the bags at the inlet pipe in the tank, outlet pipe in the tank, and maybe a bag in the canister filter (running that for a couple weeks). Anything to look out for as far as parameters are concerned to clue me in when the tank is ready for the fish?

·
Registered
211 Posts
just keep all your filter media and everything set up the new tank throw the filter on and you should maybe do a fishless cycle my 90 took 1 week with 2 filters previsouly used with the tank. and i rinsed the filters out but still only took 1 week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts