Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i got a new aquaterra slimline messa background i siliconed it into my new empty 125 gallon perfecto tank with ge silicone II let it cure for 2 days did my normal 1/4 water change and then 2 days later emptied half the water in my 125 with all my male peacocks and haps. transfered both hydro pro 5 sponge filters into the tank then i threw all the fish in the tank and proceeded to empty the rest of the water into the tank throwing 12 gallons out and refilling with new water (stress coat, prime and buffer and salt) so that was sunday.. lost 4 fish today half my fry in the breeder net and every other fish in the tank is laying on the bottom like its going to die... the only thing i can think of is that i had an eheim 2213 canister that was on a different tank with water in it i hooked it up to the new tank and ran it for idk 1 minute tops stopped it cuz the smell was horendous it smelled like rotten eggs.. i cleaned the entire canister out with tank water changed all the pads and hooked it back up.. im also running the 2 airline driven sponges and a fluval 305 with new media in it.. i checked all the levels today ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 20ppm ph 7.8 i just did a 50% water change hoping to stop my fish from dying... anyone have any suggestions i have idk 1000 bucks worth of fish in there that i really dont want to die.. i have the lights off i put some nls pellets in there and a few ate i really dont know what to do otherwise and i have no idea what would cause this.. i think the water inside the eheim had went stagnant and the pads were old and thats what caused the smell.. would that be extremely toxic to my fish?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
One thing that stands out to me is that you said that you used GE II silicone. That is the stuff that is known to NOT be safe for aquariums due to it having anti-mildew/mold agents in it that leach out and basically poison your fish. GE I for windows and doors is the stuff that is known to be SAFE. Might be the silicone alone is what is killing all your fish!

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I believe there is a sticky on it in the equipment. N supplies forum.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
doors and windows.. which doesnt have any moldicide or fungicide... and i waited 2 days for it to cure.. how would i get the background off anyways if i wanted to drain and change the sealant... im bout to spaz out

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
The other filter you used and ran for a minute was it up and running before you ran it on the new tank? The reason I ask is I went to a saltwater class this weekend and they were talking about the pros and cons of HOB's vs canisters. Since canisters are a closed system and if they are off for a length of time the water in the inside gets no oxygen causing the water to become anaerobic. I haven't seen this happen but the instructor said he has had this kill tanks full if fish. Just a suggestion.

·
Super Moderator
40,505 Posts
Sorry for your tank issues. :(

I have four siliconed backgrounds and I never waited more than 24 hours for it to cure. So you are good there.

You can tell if your canister is spewing toxins by testing the water. If you have no ammonia or nitrites, you should be good there.

I did use two of the GE silicones...the first worked and the second did not. I thought I bought the same formula both times, but the second time GE had changed the formula and added "bio-seal". I did not notice and felt safe because I had used the product before. Not! I later checked and it did not say that "bio-seal" was for mold or mildew. :x

I did remove the background and all silicone and redid the project with All-Glass Aquarium silicone. Basically you do what you said. Drain. Remove the background and all silicone with a blade. Pick all silicone off the background. Start over.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
how do i get the background off the wall without breaking the foam? im gonna use ge silicone I and i checked the tube of ge silicone II and it doesnt say anything about bio seal or mildew on the tube i think thats only on the bathroom one i got the doors and windows one.. but i have no choice im going to rip it off.. any suggestions on how to get the background off?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
wouldnt that melt the styrofoam background too? theres a lip on the tank the background starts 2 inchs below the lip idk wtf to do to get this thing off without destroying it

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Well it can melt and even burn. You have to let the heat do the work for you. With most adhesives heat helps removal. Heat the glass on the opposite side and scrape .

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i got it off jus fine.. the silicone is still sticky and my finger prints get pushed into it.. i guess it didnt cure all the way .. il be waiting a few extra days when i do it with the ge silicone I also.. do you guys think i should scrap the background i jus took off and take it as a loss or let it cure some more for a few days and scrape all the silicone off? also does anyone have any experience with this happening to their fish... should i expect all my fish to die? i moved them into a diff 125 gallon tank but they are all still laying at the bottom.. i used all new water with buffer and lake salt but used the sand from the other tank

·
Registered
28 Posts
m1ke715m said:
do you guys think i should scrap the background i jus took off and take it as a loss or let it cure some more for a few days and scrape all the silicone off?
You should be able to cut/scrape the silicone off the background. Backgrounds are pretty tough and resilient to that sort of thing, doesn't much matter what shape the back side is in as long as it is stable enough to silicone into the tank.

When I did my backgrounds I just went with the (pricey) aquarium silicone from F&S or somewhere. Yes it is more but it removed the guessing and makes me sleep better. As a total part of the cost of putting in a commercial background it didn't bump it up all that much.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Hey sorry again about your loss.. Really sucks.. I think the silicone has been used plenty of times with good results.. Really was just giving it more time to dry.. When you do it again let it set up for a good 7 days..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts