Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I currently have a 46 bowfront that's getting too crowded. I found an awesome deal on a 55g h and was wondering if I move everything out of my 46 into my 55 will I have to wait before introducing the Africans back in? Will I need to wait and cycle the tank again? I will also be using the same water plus extra declorinated water. I have crushed coral substrate, tons is lace rock, cichlid stones, 2 aquaclear hob filters. I would hate to lose all of the fish because of something small. My tank is completely mixed. So I have about 20 African juvies, 1 baenschi peacock, 1 pleco, 1 red tailed shark. I will be trading in about 3 or 4 Africans and putting in 5 ruby red fry.

·
Registered
4,998 Posts
There is varied opinions on what amount of bacteria is in the filter vs. the tank. I go with the theory that much of it is in the filter where it is easy to hang on, some in the rest of the tank. Hardly any in the water itself. Moving to a new tank, you will need to protect as much of the bacteria as possible. DO NOT clean the filters or let them dry out when moving. Put them in a bucket of tank water while moving it all. The old water is good to use as it helps the PH, temperature and such be more even than new water.With the additional water, the pollution will be somewhat more diluted than in the smaller tank. Adding any extra fish would be better to wait until the tank is stable again. Any way to work out moving fish to the shop and then wait to get the new fish in? That would reduce the initial load while the filters get up to speed again. My suggestion-- Do the change while protecting the bacteria as much as possible, don't clean filter right then as it disrupts them some. Getting the load down by moving fish out to the shop would be good. Test to see what ammonia might be developed and have a plan to deal with it if it shows up. Keep Ammo-carb or Ammo-lock on hand and know what you are going to do with it if needed. Move it all and then when testing shows all is well in couple weeks, add the new fish.
Cut back feeding both before and after the switch. Starving is not really a threat and the load will be reduced by doing so. Check carefully about cleaning the new tank so that you don't add any hazards that way. GO FOR IT.

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
Just to add. Even if you're not planning on adding fish to the new tank immediately, make sure you remove chlorine in the new tank water before running the old filter as I'm sure you know, the chlorine would kill all the bacteria in the filter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts