Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. I have two red zebras and one blue. At least I think that's what they are. One of the red zebras is a little puffy under her gills, so I assume that she is holding. Is there any way to tell for sure? Also, how do I know how long to let her carry before I try to strip her, without knowing when she bred?

Thanks!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Another good clue is behavior. A holding female normally does not eat, even though she may come out at meal time and chase the food like she wants to eat it. Or she may stay in hiding all the time, including meal time. They will usually be more shy, keeping to themselves and hiding more.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Most people here can tell by a picture - why not post one?

+1 on why would you strip?

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
longislandmbuna said:
why wouldnt you lol?
Because you don't know when she spawned and risk stripping pre-mature fry.

A pic would work. Or you could catch her and peek.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I'm pretty certain she's holding. And, yes, she looks exactly like that pic that you posted. I have a 180 gallon tank with Africans of all types and I know if I don't strip her at some point, I'll loose the fry. So, that being said... what would be the best time and the best way to strip her? I have a 10 gallon refugium that I could possibly put the fry in, but i have some other fry in there now, so mom couldn't stay in there, too.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
I like 18 days. There is a video in the Library on stripping. I would not put newly spit fry in a tank with existing fry however.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I routinely pull females from a 180g tank in order to strip them.

What I do is wait until I first wake up in the morning. I prepare from the night before. Have a large tupperware bowl I use for stripping fish ready. Under cover of darkness, I open all of the lids to the tank, then I fill container halfway with tank water. I then use a 1.5watt LED flashlight and locate the female in the tank. This is fairly easy with a bright enough light. The fish are all asleep on the substrate. Netting them out in this condition is almost effortless. I then take tem to the waiting bowl, turn on the room light and strip her quickly. She is back ing the tank in a minute or less and usually unaware of what happened.

Low stress on the fish and the keeper!!!

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All good advice... My question, i guess, remains though... If you don't know when she bred, which I assume would usually be hard to know, how do you know when to strip her? And, should I put her in a tank alone with the fry, or strip her and remove her?

·
Registered
5,315 Posts
snoskiur said:
All good advice... My question, i guess, remains though... If you don't know when she bred, which I assume would usually be hard to know, how do you know when to strip her?
You don't. Either let her spit, or remove and strip with your best guess closest to ~18 days.
snoskiur said:
And, should I put her in a tank alone with the fry, or strip her and remove her?
Strip and back into the 180. You might want to have a makeshift tumbler ready to go if they're not freeswimmers yet.

·
Super Moderator
40,520 Posts
My problem with catching sleeping cichlids on the substrate is (a) I don't have that much substrate...it's mostly rocks. And (b) my cichlids also sleep in the rock piles.

It works for my Tangs, but it is harder to ID the one you want among Tangs when they are sleeping IME.

·
Registered
509 Posts
They are really easy to make. If you don't have the parts then the cheapest thing to do would be to get a flourescent light tube (the clear tubing made to put over a 4" bulb in humid installations), some pvc slip fittings, and some screen material from a hardware store.

You could probably make 4 tumblers out of one 4' light tube.

Here's the site I got this idea from
http://canadafishtank.com/wp_marcel/200 ... g-tumbler/

The tube I found is definitely not 2" diameter like in this article.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, I made the tumbler! I think i did a pretty good job and will post some pics tomorrow. Haven't caught the momma yet, but I'll try tomorrow...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, after making a really nice tumbler and setting it up, I went ahead and stripped the female and found that she had about 30 free-swimmers with the egg sacks totally gone! Glad I didn't wait any longer... Now I have them in a plastic breeder basket and we'll see how this goes. Feel free to offer any other advice for me to raise them from here! They're about a half inch long already...

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.