Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From my experience i've seen that mouthbrooders produce much larger fry that egg layers....(comparing Mpanga reds and Macaws) and they seem to grow faster...would just like to hear some opinions on this topic....i currenty have all mouth brooders

1m 2f demasoni
1m 2f mpanga red
1m 2f nyererei red
2 yellow labs
80 gallon tank

·
Registered
554 Posts
they also produce fewer fry. Sort of makes sense, she has to hold them in her mouth, after all :thumb:

·
Registered
361 Posts
It's more science than it is opinion. Egg layers have a higher mortality rate in the wild because the eggs/fry are more exposed to predation, therefore more eggs are laid to maintain the population. Mouthbrooders protect their young much longer giving them a lower mortality rate and thus, less eggs/fry need to be produced to maintain the population.

It's pretty much universal. Populations on the lower end of the food chain require more offspring to maintain the population, while apex predators (for example) require less.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i ment like in general they start bigger...my buddy has a bunch of macaw fry that are 2 months old or more and my just hatched mpanga fry are the same size or bigger already

1 - 4 of 4 Posts