Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My yellow labs had produced 10 fry in a breeding net. She looks pretty worn out and has had her fins chewed and what's left of her tail fin is red and sore looking. Should I keep her in with the babies till she recovers. I'm not too concerned if she eats the fry as I'm not breeding to make money. Thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,257 Posts
Ideally you should move her to a separate, cycled tank and allow her to recover. A 10G tank would work for a single fish and just keep up with water changes to help her fins repair and to give her a break from breeding.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I have documented 273 mouth brooder spawns over the last 15 years and I have never isolated a female afterwards. I just put her back into the main tank. I have only lost one female and it had nothing to do with tank mates. How big is your main tank and how many fish are in there? I have not seen your fish and maybe isolation is warranted; just saying it is not my usual practise.

·
Administrator
41,526 Posts
I also return the mom to the tank, but chewed fins and a red stump for a tail sounds like she was beat up before going in the net.

Agree hospital tank...but because of the injuries, not because she just spit.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.