Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for opinions. DJ Ransome has given me a lot of help. I don't see these guys in the LFS so looking for guidance. I'm guessing the average pictures I see are the best pictures people have. I'm talking about the average population of these.

Thanks!!

·
Administrator
41,505 Posts
Maingano by far. They are a vivid blue. The cobalt and acei are more of a mid to light blue...I guess it matters what you mean by vivid. Definition is intensely deep (maingano) or bright. The cobalt and acei can be bright but they are not deep colors.

Reactions: SenorStrum

·
Registered
344 Posts
One of the advantages of being insane is that I can provide comparison pics :ROFLMAO:
There are no Cobalt Blues below, but I believe these pics will go far to demonstrating @DJRansome's point that the Acei are not particularly "Vivid." Even non-dominant Mainganos have a more vivid blue (to my eyes) than even the most dominant Acei.

Water Vertebrate Natural environment Organism Fluid

Water Light Fin Natural environment Organism

·
Registered
181 Posts
My acei exhibit a broad range of color. Sometimes very light blue, almost silver. Other times very dark purple, almost brown. And every shade in between.

Yes, maingano have brilliant blue lines, but they can also be mostly black at times, which is very cool looking! Like Darth Vader.

Reactions: Colzilla090

·
Registered
60x18x24 1700gph argonite crushed mbuna
153 Posts
I only have four adult acei, lots of fry. :oops::oops:
mine only really school up after feeding.
My big male acei is quiet aggressive. Even towards the chewere and big red!(6" red zebra) Acei certainly aren't dither fish!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts