Cichlid Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys:

So since I can't find a home for my hybrid, I'm forced to cull him. It's kind of unfortunate, but either he'd kill my other fish, or they'd kill him. And I'd rather not go there. To move, I have to combine fish from other tanks into buckets, and I don't trust him not to go nuts.

1) Humane way to cull?

Here's what I've found in research that I want to confirm.
Clove oil and then add alcohol.

But . . .

How much of each (approx.)? And how do I know when to add the alcohol? I've read you do it when the fish falls asleep--when he stops moving? He's been a good fish. I want to do right by him.

2) If I should use clove (?) oil, where can I find it?

Keep in mind I live remotely.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
I had a hard time finding clove oil by me so I ended just using alcohol the one time I had to do it. Looked painless to me anyhow. Just put him in a small container n covered him in it and he almost quite moving immediately n gills stopped after about a minute or two.

Good luck n sorry ur forced to do this. What about a separate container for transporting him?

·
Registered
361 Posts
Since this is one of my pet peeves...

To cull means to remove from a group. You're describing euthanasia. Sorry.. just had to mention that.

Anyways:

Question 1: The most humane to way to cull would be to simply put him in a tank of his own.

But, since you're planning to euthanize there are several quick and easy ways.

Option 1: Put it in a cup of water and stick it in the freezer. Check back in an hour, confirm no gill movement, and flush (this is what I do - but I make sure my wife isn't home).

Option 2: (Not pretty) Hammer

Option 3: Alcohol (like xxbenjamminxx described)

There's other ways too, but these are pretty easy to do right when you need to.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jeditwin said:
Really dude, really? I know this is a joke right?
It isn't a joke (if you were talking to me). I'm moving from PA to CO. I have eight fish tanks. I can't take everyone--it's just a fact. I wanted to re-home him, but no one will take him (bc he's a hybrid, which is sad but I understand). The LFS near me closed. I haven't heard back from the one in Lancaster (3 hrs away), but I doubt they'll take him.

I'm not sure what else to do at this point. The SPCA? I mean come on. You do what you have to. I believe in treating fish right; I think they deserve it, but I'm shoved into a corner. I didn't post here to be ridiculed, or made feel even more guilty than I already do.

Sorry Guams, I said "cull" because that's what hobbyists refer to it as (know it as), but yes I mean euthanasia.

I heard the "freezer" is one of the worst ways to do it. I did read you cut off the head, but that's a bit gross. I read that clove oil will put the fish to sleep, and the alcohol with kill it.

xxben: I fear I may not be able to find it either. . .Unless Walmart stocks it :?

·
Registered
3,236 Posts
I am a very strange fish keeper in this regard. I also really enjoy fishing, for sport, and to eat.

I just went on a fishing trip. When I catch one, I put him strait into the ice chest on ice. I would tell you not to worry so much about it, but to each his own.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You're probably right Frank. . .I just feel bad I can't find anyone to take him.

I know so many people who are nitwits when it comes to keeping fish. Like, "oh, you have to change the water? I do it every six months." Granted, it was a fish she inherited by renting the house, but. . . :lol: I just laughed in her face. She was sincerely shocked that I do weekly, if not bi-weekly 50% water changes (for the goldfish mainly).

And Frank, I don't think it's weird. I've just never really wanted to fish. The one time I went, my sister caught a hook in my thumb when she tried to cast. :roll: But I've found that sometimes people who fish (to eat) take good care of fish because they understand what the fish needs to live.

I should just stop fussing over it . . .

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
xxbenjamminxx said:
Good luck n sorry ur forced to do this. What about a separate container for transporting him?
I've thought about this. . .but my car is a compact type. I think I can transport 2 5g buckets (seatbelted in) and one 10g tub in the trunk (it's a hatchback, so not really a trunk per se).

The goldfish get one because of temperament and temperature difference.
I have a 4" GT going with, hopefully, 3 convicts (one mated pair and one solo male--not sure that will even work).
One jack dempsey with his school of 9 tetras and 4 cories, plus 4 tiger barbs, 2 BN plecos, and 3 pictus from the GT's tank (might be too many).

I thought I could do a third bucket (the middle seat), but I think it'd just tip over. Plus, I don't even know the chances of any of these fish surviving an 18+ hr drive in summer.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I asked about this same type of thing earlier and got answers like "i could never hurt any animal, just never, not for any reason".

well the rest of us live in the real world where there aren't trees every 12-18" just waiting to be hugged. I love animals and fish and would never torture them, but ... sadly this type of thing becomes the only option sometimes (last resort, but still...).

When i had to do it, i'm sorry to say but i pulled him out, quickly wrapped him with paper towel and quickly ended it with a large rock. Death was instant ... and i mean instant. The fish did not have to slowly go to sleep or suffocate over a minute or longer. I felt real sh$#@$ about it, but in my mind it was the most humane way.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I also love to fish, and eat the fish I catch....If I can, I usually kill the fish I catch right away, by using a sharp knife to cut right into the spinal cord behind the head on the dorsal side, if for some reason, I can't do this...i.e. on a surfboard or kayak, or in the middle of a frenzy (need to get your line right back out there) then i throw it on ice as well. I think although we consider it gross severing the spinal cord very quickly is one of the most humane ways to kill any animal. Remember that once the spinal cord is severed the animal cannot physically register pain anymore. I don't think the freezer method is cruel either...freezing to death is actually regarded as one of the 'gentler' deaths in terms of mental trauma. Whatever you do, don't think about it too much, you obviously respect life as all people should, especially those who fish and keep fish in captivity...and as you said you don't really have a choice. There are some on this site who would argue any hybrid should be euthanized at birth anyways. The cruelest thing you could do would be to let him get beaten to death in the tank, or throw him in some nearby lake or pond to let 'nature take it's course'...unfortuantely I think this happens more often than we think.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
eoconnor said:
I don't think the freezer method is cruel either...freezing to death is actually regarded as one of the 'gentler' deaths in terms of mental trauma. Whatever you do, don't think about it too much, you obviously respect life as all people should, especially those who fish and keep fish in captivity...and as you said you don't really have a choice. There are some on this site who would argue any hybrid should be euthanized at birth anyways. The cruelest thing you could do would be to let him get beaten to death in the tank, or throw him in some nearby lake or pond to let 'nature take it's course'...unfortuantely I think this happens more often than we think.
Thanks for that.

We don't want to get into the "Hybrid, yea or neigh" debate, but I'm pro-choice about it. If I'd known he was hybrid, I wouldn't have gotten him because I can't keep fry. Though, I usually don't anyway what with the red zebra in there with y. labs. On the other hand though, he's a beautiful fish. I've never had behavior problems with him (ie roid rage that some hybrids have). I figure he's dominant because he's the largest.

I could probably give him away to someone if I lied about what he is, but I can't, conscionably, do that. I know people often want to breed/sell fry, and I think we should protect the purity of the species. Hybrids should be enjoyed, but kept out of the breeding pool (out of respect for everyone).

I DO wish I could find someone nearby willing to take care of and enjoy him as I have. But, like I said, most people where I live are college students (like me) and, generally, abuse their fish. So, maybe this is better for him.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aedes said:
I asked about this same type of thing earlier and got answers like "i could never hurt any animal, just never, not for any reason".

well the rest of us live in the real world where there aren't trees every 12-18" just waiting to be hugged. I love animals and fish and would never torture them, but ... sadly this type of thing becomes the only option sometimes (last resort, but still...).

When i had to do it, i'm sorry to say but i pulled him out, quickly wrapped him with paper towel and quickly ended it with a large rock. Death was instant ... and i mean instant. The fish did not have to slowly go to sleep or suffocate over a minute or longer. I felt real sh$#@$ about it, but in my mind it was the most humane way.
It's hard for me because, and this is so sad, but I befriend my fish. I play with them. My goldfish and even my GT (after much work) are so personable--wet pets, as people say. The Africans are probably the most instinctual fish I have. They've never really learned to sit up and beg :lol:

I just consider myself lucky to have found homes for the 5 labs, and I'm still working on the red zebra.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
After you do it a couple of times, it gets easier. I used to get really down after having to do that, not that I like doing it now, just that it got easier. Like with sickly fish, just smash em with a rock and get it over with. Sucks but sometimes that's what has to be done. I didn't like when they took Ol Yeller out back, but it had to be done.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Another suggestion would be to bag him up and transport him like that. Double bagged in fresh water and I would think that he should make it just fine. That way you could just lay the bag down even or stick in between the buckets.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
xxben--A bag? I could do that. . .but would he last several days like that? I thought my drive was 18 hrs, it's actually 26 :roll: without traffic. I would probably spend one night in a hotel--put filters on the buckets. I could maybe refresh the water?

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
You could bag him like as if you were shipping, then once you have another bucket stacked on one that your already using, and use that once you stop where ever your stopping. Then rebag with fresh water and continue on.

Not saying for sure all will be hunky dory but I bet it would be ok. Fish get shipped all the time with 2 day shipping and arrive with no ill affects. Also if you have prime you can dose the bag with that to help with any ammonia and/or nitrite that may build up in there during the drive. Also keeping the bag within a paper bag or something to keep it dark would prob help with the stress level as well.

·
Registered
478 Posts
If you really do want to keep him I think the bag would suffice....oxygen tabs and make sure to fast him (and all fish) at least 24 hours so they don't poop in their transport water...when you take them out put them in a holding bucket for 15 minutes and let them **** in that, then transfer to clean water with O2, mostly air, less water....at the motel change the water out- re bag and get moving...sounds fun though, moving 8 fish tanks halfway across the country...good luck and let us know how it goes.

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Interesting. . .I might try it. Or at least wait a bit to decide. He's probably the nicest fish of all the Africans. Swims to the top of the bucket to look at me now. Dumb fish :p I think he's asking me to keep him.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I'm really sorry things couldn't have worked out with us. I would have gladly given It a home. =\ best of luck to you in whatever you end up doing.

+1 on the ice though. Especially since it's dark in the freezer. I don't think it would be inhumane. I applaud you on your care towards your fish, I had to euthanize one of my Red Bellied Pacus about 11 months ago, it's not fun, but sometimes you have to do it. :(

·
Registered
843 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yeah, me too Joel. Honestly, it was just a misunderstanding I think. When I said I'd "deliver" I meant I would drive and meet. I'm just not saavy enough or comfortable mailing fish. :roll:

I still need a home for my red zebra though. Though, if I'm keeping the hybrid I may as well keep the zebra.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts